Monday, August 4, 2008

Awards & Banners and Rooms Oh MY!!

First of all I have to apologize for being SO behind lately! I feel like things have been so incredibly busy around here that I have neglected my blog friends. I am hanging on by a virtual rope but so far I am still holding on!!! I will get around to all of you as soon as I can!

I received some very special awards from some very special ladies!!!! Oh I was just so flattered and excited!!!

Rhonda from Scooterblu's Whimsy awarded me with not one- but two awards!!! AHHH!!! How fun! The first is the "Just Plain Fun to Read" award. I still find it hard to believe that anyone would actually read my blog- let alone say it was fun to read!!! So this award is VERY VERY special to me!! It really boosted my blogging confidence!

The next award was the Brillante award. I love this award !! To think I am brilliant and fun to read?? My head is gonna explode from the swelling!! LOL!!!! THANKS RHONDA! You made my week!

This next award is very cool. It is from Picket over at Picket's Place . It is the "You make me feel at home" award. What a wonderful thing to make someone feel at home! Isn't that what we all try and accomplish when we put so much time and love into our houses- to make them feel like home? And now we realize we can accomplish that same feat here in blog land! Thanks Picket!!!!

Now, I am sure when you hopped on over here today that you noticed that I have a new banner!!!! SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO EXCITED over this banner you have no idea! When I started this blog I had an image in my head for a banner. I worked and worked and spit and threw the printer and........................... nothing. Nothing but a picture of hydrangeas and some generic words over top. It was pretty but it just wasn't what I was going for, you know?? Well, Rhonda from Scooterblu's Whimsy hosted a baby shower for me a couple of weeks ago and Pearl from Pearl's Sentimental Journey participated. On her shower post was MY dream banner! In a little picture form that she had done just for that post. I commented about how much I loved it and today I receive an email from Pearl with a link attached for................ a new banner!!! She designed my new banner just for me! Can you believe it? I was SUPER FLATTERED!!! And this lady is SUPER TALENTED!! THANK YOU SO MUCH PEARL!!!



Isn't it awesome!??!! Oh I am so happy. Isn't that crazy?? This is exactly and I mean exactly what I had pictured in my mind when I started my blog................ it is funny how things always work out isn't it?!?
Next. I wanted to share with you our finished living room and dining room! Like a room is ever finished?? Well, this is as good as it gets for awhile I think!! Our living room, dining room and kitchen are all open to each other. I have always wanted that floor plan but I found it challenging to tie all of the spaces together. Here is what the results were.
My living room area. I love my sofa because it is pretty much childproof. I would love to have a formal living room and fancy furniture someday but since we only have one living room now it is important to have things that the kids can't "destroy". I want my kids to be kids and for our home to be their home and be comfortable in it. The Ikea sofa is perfect with it's removable/washable slipcovers! The coffee table used to belong to my Grandpa Fell. Grandpa Fell lived in Florida and every summer we would visit him for two weeks. I remember every night after dinner Grandpa would go out to his backyard, pick lemons and make fresh squeezed lemonade and we would all sit in the living room, around this coffee table, and drink our lemonade and visit. This table escaped the last hurricane with only scratches. Many people have asked if I was going to refinish it..................I am going to leave it just as it is- covered in years of memories..................
I made the pillows, the black stands were a second hand store bargain and the lamps and shades came from Target.
The galvanized tub is full of quilts from family and friends (and one from Pottery Barn). The sconces were a gift from my cousins................




This is the wall opposite the sofa. My husband worked for a hotel as a chief engineer for awhile. They decided to throw out these wicker chairs one day and my husband saved them from the trash and brought them home. He knew I had always wanted wicker chairs! The wreath above was purchased at Target. I loved it because it is covered in succulents and it reminded me of my Grandma. She always has "Hens and Chicks" on her porch. A Grandma signature! The dolls were made by my sister. Primitive Rag dolls! Ignore the cords hanging down....Marc has to hide them somehow!



We had to put the tv and electronics up on the fireplace to keep them away from the kids. Marc built the shelf (which I still have to paint) and now has to hide the cords to make it look better.



The little chairs were made by an Amish man in New York that Marc's step father knows. He usually makes adult size but Marc's step-father asked him to make some for his grand kids. They are so cute!
This is the dining room area. We pulled our old dining room table out of storage because the dark stain worked better than the oak one did. I put my antique table behind the sofa and made it into a little desk area.




Just another view................



My apartment doesn't have a lot of light which makes me crazy. I miss sunlight!! But it works for now with all of the white and light furniture and accessories. Hope you like it!

Hope you all have a fantastic day!!
~Heather :)

11 comments:

Marie said...

Congrats on the awards! And the new banner is GREAT! I love how bright and airy your living room and dining room look! I can't believe your husband saved those wicker chairs from the trash! Someone was throwing them out?? Crazy. lol

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Heather! Love the banner! Pearl has such an amazing talent, working with graphics on the computer! ...And your home is gorgeous! Love your colors! If I have to pick a favorite it would be that beautiful coffee table and little amish chairs! They are just precious! Love that couch, too! :)

I left you an email! So glad your package arrived safely! :)

Hugs, Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather... Congratulations on your awards! You are so deserving of them, Sweetie...

~ cheers 'n tossing Pink confetti ~

I'm so glad that you like your banner! Thank you very much for your sweet words about me, Heather... You're way too kind ~hug~

Now I am just loving the photos of your home! Everything looked wonderful and you can sense the love that went into things... just imagine how the arrival of Cali will brighten things even more! I hope you're feeling well and resting and following Dr.'s orders! Have a pleasant evening... God bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cinderella, she sure did pick a good one! I'm so happy for you. A banner just kind of "makes" the blog, doesn't it? Shows the personality of the blogger. I love your stuff. You did a great job. I have cords hanging everywhere too. Can't for the life of me figure out how to hide them all! I had a coffee table much like that that I gave away last spring. Not enough room. And not enough light either in here, but I do have the outside, so guess it evens out! Mine wasn't filled with memories though. Don't ding-dong yourself about not getting around to stuff. Folks understand. You have almost three kids! SOON!
xoxo, Brenda

Kim's Treasures said...

Hi Heather~Love your banner! And Congrats on your deserving awards!!! You have done an amazing job with your apartment! It looks so cozy and relaxing! Your dining room is so nice and I love the wicker chairs! Good job hubby! I,also, really like the way you are storing your quilts! Have a wonderful evening!
Kim

Picket said...

Morning sweetie! Oh I absolutely love that new header! Your changes look so pretty and those little chairs are precious...girl you remind me so much of myself...I always cleaned and rearranged things clear up to the day my babies were born! It won't be long now girl...just don't you be standing on a ladder dusting light bulbs! lol lol Have a great day Heather!

Kim's Treasures said...

Hi Heather! I'm so excited that you added me! I'm going to add you too! I just recently found your blog and I am really loving it!
Have a wonderful day!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Heather, Your rooms look great! That couch just makes me want to curl up on it and those gorgeous wicker chairs for free. Lucky you have a smart husband who knew to grab them. I love the little children's rockers. They will become heirlooms over time. How pretty your dining room is too. Love the hutch!

Great new banner too. Could it be any more perfect? I think not.

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all congratulations on the well deserved awards. I absolutely love love love those wicker chairs, throwing them out????? what????? Great find Marc. Your sectional is great. I wish I would have had slipcovered furniture when my children were small, I love that you chose the khaki color. Of course your pillows are a great finishing touch. Oh and the coffee table, do not touch it, you are right it has too many memories. I love your dining room set. It is so pretty and cottagey. Is that a word? LOL!!
Great job sweetie!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Rue said...

Hi Fred :)

I've been bad not coming by, but I will say that I tried like 3 days in a row and blogger wouldn't let me open your page up :(

Congrats on the awards and the banner!!

Your living and dining room look so different from where you started. It's truly an amazing transformation! I see a spoon and fork! ;)

still reading.....

Krissie said...

Hi Heather,

Congrats on your awards and I agree with them all!!! Your new banner is amazing too!!!

Love ya Bunches
Krissie