Thursday, July 17, 2008

This Is Not My Leg!

Today was another strange day in Cali-land! My first two pregnancies were pretty darn smooth but this third one............ oh that is another story altogether. It has not been terrible compared to what many women go through but it hasn't been a field trip either. For the first three months of the pregnancy I was so sick that I not only couldn't eat, but it got to a point where I couldn't even swallow or keep down any liquids. I was diagnosed Hyperemesis Gravaderum- translation: severe morning sickness that lasted 24 hours a day. I had to have in-home nurses come to my home (Thank God for that program!) and hook me up to IVs. One in my hand to keep me from getting dehydrated and one in my leg that was connected to a pump. The pump (which had to be running 24 hours a day) was contained in a little fanny pack that I had to wear around my waist and held anti-nausea medication that was supposed to enable me to eat. Now I have to tell you that I HATE needles. I really really hate needles. The nurse came, showed me how to do this IV thing and then informed me I had to change the needle/IV site every day- myself. HUH!?!?! Oh my goodness NO! Uh huh. Had to do it. Being the protective mommy that I am I did it. It was not easy and my poor husband saw me suffering and volunteered to do it for me. So, one night I showed him how to do it and he turned ten shades of white and hit the floor. So, back to doing it myself. Got through that stage and that was the worst of it. Praise God! It has just been one small thing after another the last several months but nothing too severe. Today I woke up and my right foot hurt. It was swollen- no biggie. Well, as the day progressed it got worse and worse and the swelling went from my hip to my toes! About three times it's normal size. Oh my! Then my entire leg started going numb. Must call doctor. Apparently the way my precious baby Cali is laying is putting pressure on a very important vein and blocking circulation. I had to lay on my side and drink lots of water. The kids cooperated and I did as I was told. Bored stiff........... but I would rather be bored stiff at home than bored stiff at the hospital.
So instead of working more on this.............


(I told you that master closet was a nightmare! Ya'll didn't believe me did ya? So embarrassing. Poor closet. )
And instead of finishing this..............


I was laying on this....................


But hey! It's cute and comfy!! So I decided to show off some of the pillows I have been making for the sofa and living room. I have a few more to do still but you get the idea. I tried to make them pretty simple- fringe and fancy trim doesn't last too long with my kids!!


It was fun to mix all of the fabrics. Kyle has claimed the toile pillow he made and you are lucky if you get to lay on it!! That's okay though, he worked hard on that pillow!


The ones done are mostly red. I had more with other colors but took them off the couch because they just didn't look right. This looks better.



My leg is still swollen but it has gone down a lot. Still doesn't look like my leg though. I am really bummed though- I just had my husband convinced to let me go on a little field trip tomorrow but after this.............. the drive is probably gonna be too much. :( Ah Pickles!! I was really looking forward to it too. He tried to sooth me by telling me to fulfill my need to shop by checking out the Goodwill tomorrow. They sent me a coupon for 35% off my entire purchase. But, if I am still disproportionate tomorrow I will be staying home and spending more time with my pretty pillows.
Hope you all have a great day!
-Heather :)



15 comments:

Lulu said...

I LOVE your pillows!! They make the sofa look adorable and comfy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather... I can so relate to what you're going through, bless your heart. It simply is not easy, let alone fun, to have to lay down most of the time and do all of that "extra" medical "stuff"! As with most things, it will soon pass, and it will become a faint memory. In the meantime, the closet and painting, etc. isn't going anywhere... LOL Now, those pillows you showed are simply adorable! What a fun project to work on! And, I'm thinking that a trip to Goodwill with a 35 percent off coupon isn't such a bad outing! Hopefully there isn't an expiration date on your coupon, in case you end up not being able to go. I wonder why I never get coupons like that from our Goodwill? Not Fair! LOL

I wanted to thank you for stopping by for a visit... I was so tickled to see that you'd been by! And I totally agree with what you said about marriage... communication, respect, humor... indeed, those are all vital qualities to have, along with trust. Goodness, without those tucked in with alot of Love, you may as well have nothing.

Do take care of yourself, as best as you can... easy for me to say since mine are no longer lil ones! I will be thinking of you and will send up a prayer. Oooooooooooo... I went "shopping" last night for your "virtual" Baby Shower! It was a riot and I hope you'll be tickled PINK with what I've come up with! So much FUN!! Come again for a visit whenever the mood strikes you...

~blessings~
Pearl

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Oh Heather, I think I was turning several shades of white JUST READING about what you have to go through! And I have been scolding you to lay down, haven't I?! I am not one for needles either and having three kids with a few emergency room visits have really tested my limits of what I can and can't handle! Amazing how strong you can be when your baby is involved. I know you are trying to do everything before Calista arrives but you have to watch yourself too b/c if you wear yourself out you won't be any good to any of your kiddo's. The pillows are adorable and I LOVE the dresser, just gorgeous. Yes the closet is a teeny weeny bit scary ( I have a few like that myself!) but just look at all those handbags you have! wow! And the new painting looks great above the couch. :) Just know that I do read your blog often, I just have a hard time leaving comments, my dang computee' gives me trouble. Take care. ~ Laurie

Anonymous said...

My pregnant daughter the real estate agent a few weeks ago said she'd go show a house; excuse herself and throw up out the back door! And she's close to 20 weeks. Threw up every single day. I'll have to ask her if that's let up. Poor thing. She lost one last fall the first trimester. And she finally felt this one kick and it wasn't gas!
xoxo, Brenda

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Bless your heart! Hope the swelling has gone down and you are resting comfortably! And don't worry about that closet...most of us have one of those, and if you clean it up, you'll be left out! :) I had two rough pregnancies. I was in the hospital 5 times before Ash was born and it took me 5 1/2 years (and a "surprise", LOL!), to get enough nerve to try it again! But it was all worth it in the end! :)
Are Kyle and Bella getting excited??? ....You take care of yourself! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I am so sorry about your leg. You just make sure you do what you need to to take care of yourself. I did miss you today though. We will get together sometime. How far are you from me? I will come to you.

Your sectional looks adorable. I love your pillows, the variety looks great. Well of course Kyle's is the best!!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Oh Heather, you poor dear. Good thing you only have 33 days left! (if that!)
Honey, that closet ain't nothin' compared to my house!!
The pillows are so happy...and of course it's so cool that Kyle helped. Is that your new painting by the sofa? WOW, it's perfect there!!
Hugs,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Stay on your left side - do not do anything else - it's a big deal - not a little something else to contend with. Left side - watch TV, eat bon bons, let someone take the kids - BIG DEAL potential

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather... Just popping in to check on you... I hope things are looking up and that your leg is much better. I'm saying a prayer! Just rest and try to relax... God bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Trixi said...

I have to agree those pillows are too cute. Take care of yourself.
Blessings~~

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm just checking in on you this morning. Hope you had a good night and your swelling is down this morning.
Take care of yourself and
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Heidi said...

Hi Heather, I am new to your lovely blog!...recommended to me by Rhonda from Scooterblu's Whimsy!.. I am so sorry to hear this last pregnancy hasn't been quite as easy & carefree as you would have hoped!...However, your're "virtual" baby shower is coming up & I for one am so happy to participate!...I have a small shop on-line, babypeople.etsy.com, which I just recently started...My first pieces are sweet blankets & bibs, with dresses, jackets & diaper bags to follow! Anyway, even though I know this is a "virtual" baby shower, I would LOVE to send you a little something from my shop! I will be including your "real" surprise" in my "shower post" next week....& then would love to mail it out to you! Would you mind e-mailing me your address, so I can send it to you!...(my e-mail adress is heididevlin@gmail.com) You take care...have a lovely weekend!....Heidi XO

Anonymous said...

The joys of motherhood !!
I hope your feeling better soon, I will say a little prayer for you/
Take care,
Diane

Jo said...

What pretty cushions! So cozy! I love the mix of colours and fabrics. I hope your leg is looking/feeling better now!

Rue said...

Pickles?! LOL

The house looks so cute! I haven't seen anything since you sent me those pictures months ago!

off to read more....