Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Busy Buzzy Weekend and a Thank You

First of all I want to thank each and every one of you for your kind words to Marc and I on the loss of Marc's PapPap. Marc and I were both blown away by the comments that were left and how loving all of you are. It truly touched our hearts and we were overwhelmed by the support from the blogging community. You will never know how wonderful and how encouraging your words were to us at this time. Thank You!!!!!!


What a weekend! Marc was on call all weekend and we were busy with a ton of projects. I still can not believe what all we got accomplished in just a few days time.
Most importantly we took care of a very pressing issue. About a month ago we had some neighbors move in. These are the kind of neighbors you do not want in your community. Not only are they a nuisance but they are mean, dangerous and they were killing my plants! Uh huh! Can you believe it? Well, by Sunday I had had enough and Marc and I decided that something needed to be done. I was tired of dealing with them and tired of being afraid to go outside because I knew that they would be out there.......... waiting for me. Honestly- they scared me to pieces and they were getting worse all of the time.


Yes.......... hornets. Big scary hornets had moved in and were taking over the ceiling of our balcony. They were killing my plants.......... and the ones they weren't killing they made it very difficult for us to water because they would swarm us every time we went outside. Not only that but they must have told their friends about what a great place they had moved into because they started moving in too! Like a whole hornet community!!


Marc came home from work on Sunday ready to take on these savages with just the right weapon.............


He snuck outside to move some plants and furniture out of the way...............


And then took on those bees like a true manly man that he is. Yeah ladies- eat your hearts out- this is how a real man kills bees. One hand out the door and the other hand holding the door knob ready to slam it shut!!!!!!!!! Careful baby! It was pretty intense for awhile let me tell ya! There were a lot of bees crammed inside that nest and they came out ticked off!



But after a whole can of hornet killin' spray......................



The nest fell to the ground and all remaining inside were pronounced dead at the scene. That'll teach ya to mess with my flowers!! I don't think they'll be back. At least I hope not!!
Saturday we went to Lowe's to get materials for a project that we worked on almost all weekend. That will be in a post later this week as it is not quite finished and I don't want to show it until it is officially done. Marc and I are super excited about it though. He says it "Better Homes and Gardens worthy!!" Here is Marc pushing the kids in the cart.................


I think they are enjoying the ride!



On Friday I did some painting. I know- I am so going backwards in this post but it's been a long weekend- bare with me!
I wanted to spruce up our entry and make it feel more cottage. I took this old coat rack/shelf and painted it white along with a lattice framed mirror. Here is the coat rack before............



And the finished project............



I am very happy with the results. We can't put too much on the shelf though as every time our neighbor slams their door stuff falls off. I had to glue the "DREAM" sign to the shelf!!!! LOL!!

Something very exciting arrived for me Friday! My new bedding for our master bedroom!!! See............................

What? You actually thought I was going to show you? Why that would ruin the surprise!! I did in fact choose a color- between red and blue! Major accomplishment, I know! I even painted the bedroom Sunday and I LOVE how it looks! There is still a lot to do in that room before it is done but maybe by next Monday I will have pictures to show!! Marc has been busy painting the dressers for the room and I can't wait to see how they look!
Also on Friday I painted Kyle's room! It looks so good!! I did a faux denim treatment on his walls. It only took a few hours and although at first I wasn't sure about it, I really like how it turned out. Marc really likes it and Kyle loves it! We rearranged his furniture too. Not so much for design but out of necessity. He had bunk beds and Bella fell off the other day! Oh my goodness! The only thing that saved her from breaking her arm was a mess of stuffed animals on the floor below her. That was one time I was glad that Kyle didn't listen to me when I asked him to clean his room!! So we separated his bunk bed and he now has two twin beds. Much safer!! I need to hang up a few more accessories in there before I show you all the final result but let me tell ya- it's CUTE!!!!!!! Kyle keeps telling me he loves his "new room". That to me made it all worth it! Here is a sneak peek..........


Suspenseful isn't it?!? LOL!!!
So all in all we had a great weekend. We got a lot accomplished. We painted two rooms, decorated two rooms, organized a ton and got rid of our annoying neighbors. It feels good. It also feels exhausting. I need some sleep now!!
Hope you all had a great and safe 4th of July weekend!!
~Heather :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Oh you poor things! Hornets! Those are some nasty things. I'm allergic to bee stings so I'm sure those old hornets are worse! Glad your hubby was the hero of the day! I don't blame him just sticking out one arm. Well, seems you were very busy this weekend. I just love projects and have quite I few I need to tackle, but I can't seem to get off this puter! lol Hope you had a wonderful 4th and I see you added me to your blogging buddies. Thank you so much! I'm so new at this and I appreciate it so much. You're going on my sweeties list right now. Come back and see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Good Morning Heather! Have you got any spray left for the pesty neighbors next door that keep slamming the door? LOL! Just Kidding! I got tickled at Marc's Better Home and Gardens remark. Kevin and Josh pick on me all the time, when I am trying to "make things beautiful!" LOL! "Is Better Homes and Gardens coming today???" I actually found outdoor cushions that are BH & G! That'll show them! LOL! I can't wait to see the rooms you are working on! You have been a busy bee! The sneak peeks are so enticing! The treatment on Kyle's walls looks so good!

Well, we are off to the Doctor to hopefully get a cast today, and set David's arm on the mend! Hope you are able to get some rest! :)

Hugs, Rhonda

Marie said...

Wow! You had a busy weekend!! I love the faux denim walls in your son's room! How did you do that? And it's not very nice to NOT show us the bedding. :o)

Rue said...

Holy Moly Heather! You HAVE been busy!! Marc is now going to be known as THE Hornet Killer (THK for short LOL) What a manly man :)

I am officially pouting because you haven't told me (your blogging BFF) what color you chose! Is blue? Is it red? Is it both?? LOL

I love the wall treatment in Kyle's room and the shelf looks cute! You can use rubber cement (I think) for the stuff on the shelf. I can't remember what it's called, but you have to use it in California because of the earthquakes.

You didn't move furniture did you? Marc... did she?? Better not have missy!

love ya too,
rue

Anonymous said...

Now that was some bees... Whewww. Im glad no one was hurt or stung... What a man you have, smile....Your hero! Susie H~

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe I have to wait to see what is in that box, Cinderella! But I will. Of course! And good that you split up those bunkbeds. My grandson has them and it worries me. They had a segment on the evening news a few weeks ago about how many children get hurt with bunkbeds. You seem so much happier with your decor solutions. Makes me happy too!
Brenda

Jo said...

You've got me on pins and needles waiting to see everything you've teased us with in this post! Glad you got rid of the hornets. Nasty creatures. I wish I could do the same with mosquitos.

Nancy Hood said...

Can't wait to see the AFTER photos!!

Krissie said...

Hi Heather,

From the picture if Kyle's room so far I am very excited to see the whole room... What colors did you decide to go with for your room? Can't wait to see it too and the project you and Marc are working on. The picture of Kyle and Bella is cute too!!

Now go enjoy your gorgeous porch pest free.

Love ya
Krissie :)

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Ugh, hornets! Those nasty little buggers! We had a huge nest a few years ago. They sure make pretty homes tho, eh?
Ok girlie, the suspense is KILLING me! I wanna see all your projects! Sounds like you like your new bedding, I think I know what it is!!
Hmm, what in the world could you be doing with countertop?
Kyle's room sounds adorable! Hurry up and show us!!
Nikki

Picket said...

hey sweetie...I am so sorry to hear about your hubby's grandfather..I lost my last grandparent 15 yrs ago and I still miss them so much..but I have a treasure trove of memories in my heart that will always be with me.
Oh girl...hornets!!!! I hear when they sting you it is like getting shot with a gun!!!! lol Glad everything went well...can't wait to see what you went with on the bedroom redo....take care friend and I'll be back to check on you!