Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Place to Lay My Head

Well, I am down to the finishing touches on the "mystery project room" so I decided it was time to start making important decisions in the bedroom. The walls are painted and I LOVE the color, the bedding is here and I LOVE it. The problem is I don't think I love them together. The paint sample looked great up against the bedding but Marc and I had................... an issue with the paint. We had never used Dutch Boy before but we had problems with the application, it was runny, and it smelled like dirty gym socks. Hmmm...... that's a new one. Anyways, for one reason or another it turned out about 3 shades off of what it is supposed to be. So now the bedding and the walls just kind of clash. So while I am deciding what to do about that I thought I would look for beds.
I was on Fabulous Fifi's blog yesterday. ALWAYS finding inspiration there! Fifi recently got back from a photo shoot of the famous Rachel Ashwell's home and shop. On display in her shop was a four poster canopy bed that really caught my eye. A beautiful, weathered-looking four poster canopy bed with all white bedding and sheer lacy curtain panels hung from all four sides...........ahhhhh..............I honestly got lost in that picture. I imagined sitting in that bed, surrounded by comfy white pillows, reading (the most recent issue of Romantic Country of course!) with the sheers blowing in the breeze from a nearby window with Lesley Garrett playing softly in the background. And then, just that quick, I snapped out of my little fantasy when I heard my son screaming "MOMMYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Bella took her diaper off and there is poop everywhere!!!" I looked away from my computer screen to see my naked daughter running proudly and happily down the hall........... leaving poppy footprints as she went. Yuuuuk! Hmmmmm............. Is all white bedding really such a great idea? Will my kids be hanging from those cross-bars like monkeys from a tree? Will those sheer drapes survive or be used as a Tarzan vine? How practical is a canopy bed?
I suggested the idea to my husband........ "What are your thoughts of a sheer- covered, four poster, canopy bed?"
His response? "Twelve year old girl."
Wow. Harsh.
So what do you all think? Do you like canopy beds? With their dreamy sheer curtains blowing in the breeze? Or is this type of decor best left in junior high??
I found several canopy beds online. None that really turned my head, so to speak. I have the ideal one pictured in my head........... just haven't found it yet. All of the beds tend to be black too so I would have to paint them white and give them a distressed finish.


This is a little closer to what I was imagining but it is still lacking some umph!

There, that is better......................


And then I kept looking at other alternatives. I found this cute four poster bed. Very cottage......

And then we have this elegant beauty. My heart sings......................



How gorgeous is this bed?? Very French, very shabby chic and OH SO ROMANTIC!! It is from the Chris Madden Collection at JCPenny. Hmmm. This would give me the romance I am looking for and have that same whimsical feel as a canopy bed. It would also be a shock to my wallet. But it is dreamy. I'll have to think about all of these beds and see which one comes up the winner. What do you all think??
Have a great day!!
~Heather :)




9 comments:

Kimba said...

I do think they're all beautiful. But my favorite is the 4-poster bed. I like to look at canopy beds but I have this irrational fear that I'll get all tangled up in the curtains. How dumb.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! What beautiful beds have fun choosing. I don't really get mad at miss Chloe Dawn, that was really just blog talk!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm going to be blunt as I usually am. I like the last one from JCP. I order a lot from them, and am usually happy. But I can't sign off without telling you why I wouldn't want the other beds (it is so typically me!) I have this thing about elevators (though I can stand to be in one...briefly). And big box-like things in general. I have this nightmare about being locked in something dark and tight. Now I know this does not pertain to your bed, and you're likely not as "disturbed?" as I am. But the first thing I thought of when I saw them was that! And a visual of your kids hanging off those poles and climbing on them! Sorry...
xoxo, Brenda

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Heather, I hope this comment finds you behaving! LOL! I know it's hard for you! Where do you find your energy??? LOL! I love the second bed! But if I were single and didn't have to share with a big old manly man, I'd have the last one! Oh, that is a dream bed!!! Fabulous! The pictures of Kyle and Bella are just precious! The are two cute kiddos!

And thanks so much for asking about David! He is doing well, I was so hoping Monday he would have gotten a smaller, "normal cast"...replacing the huge contraption on his arm from surgery. You can barely see four of his fingers and not his thumb at all! So there isn't a lot he can do right now and he is getting really bored! ...which isn't good for me either! LOL! But at least he is mending well!

I'm dieing to see your project reveal...oh give us just a sneak tiny peek....please! LOL! Patience is not one of my virtues! LOL!

Talk to you soon! Hugs, Rhonda :)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

I meant "hard to be still and do nothing"...not hard for you to behave! I reread my comment and thought..ewe, that might not have sounded nice! LOL! There was a compliment in there for you somewhere! I promise! LOLOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, thank you for coming to my tea party and yes, Miss Chloe Dawn has recovered. That little stinker.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Hm, I commented on this I'm sure but I don't see it now! I like the third and last bed best. I love canopy beds but I think you have to have a big room for them.
And of course I love french stuff. I don't remember what all I said last time, but anyway, you'll find that perfect bed. Keep searching craigslist, and shoot... you'll probably find one in the trash!!
Nikki

Jo said...

Dreamy beds! I'd go for a four-poster canopy if KD would let me. My friend has one It's dark brown and she hangs red fringed scarves from it...It looks very eastern. I just love the whole massive-bed look. Unfortunately, KD likes the whole platform bed low to the ground thing. Anyway, my favourite of the ones you posted is the last one. Very sweet and cottagey and elegant.

Krissie said...

Hi Heather,

Thoughts about white bedding and 3 kids... Well I'd say it's a don't only because I know it will drive you nuts worrying about keeping it clean first of all and you won't relax worrying about it so no.

The beds I can picture the last one in your masterbedroom. I kind of agree with Marc about the canopy beds. My other thoughts are that your active children will be climbing them and trying to swing from them like George and Jane from the Jungle. My other thought on the last one it really seems to be more you and Marc!!! I think that it will go great with everything else and your bedding. That one will make you smile and relax the most.

Love ya
Krissie :)