Thursday, July 3, 2008

Saying Goodbye

In Memory of Floyd Donald "PapPap" July23, 1933- June 27th, 2008

Last weekend Marc was working at our house that we are selling when he got a call that his Grandfather (PapPap) had passed away. PapPap had been sick for some time with cancer and he was finally called home to be with our Father on Friday June 27th, 2008. I got the ok from my OBGYN and we drove to West Virginia Monday night. It was late so we stayed at a hotel.
This is Kyle being the ever-helpful boy that he is............

Tuesday morning we headed over to Marc's Dad's house to visit and get ready for the funeral. Beside the front porch his mother-in-law has the most beautiful hydrangea bush so I snapped a bunch of pictures of the blooms...........still kissed with the morning dew................

It was a hard day. For the last few weeks Marc has been trying to get down to see his PapPap but between his responsibilities at work and a major plumbing issue we had to take care of last weekend he never made it down. He never got to say his proper goodbye and he was hurting because of it. The service was beautiful and there was a large number of people in attendance. The sermon was lovely and the music was beautiful. One of Marc's cousins even played the guitar and sang one of PapPap's favorite songs. It was very touching and I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. My Grandmother once told me that it takes a real man to cry in the presence of others and I witnessed the most beautiful display of that on Tuesday. PapPap was a very loved man and I am sure he was smiling down on his wonderful family as he watched them all tell him goodbye.
On the way to the graveside service Bella had fallen asleep. She only slept an hour the entire night before at the hotel so I decided to stay in the van with her. Kyle insisted on going with Marc. This was Kyle's first funeral so we tried as best we could to prepare him beforehand, answer all of his questions and try and make it as pleasant an experience as it could be so that he learns that death is not a scary thing. I think he understood because at the funeral home when we walked up to the casket he said "PapPap is sleeping so he can go be with the angels."

When the graveside service was over Marc and Kyle were walking back to the van and Kyle asked "Daddy.......are you sad that you lost your PapPap?" Marc said "Yeah Buddy I am." And Kyle replied "It's okay Daddy, we'll find him again someday." Marc said he didn't even know how to answer so he just shook his head and told Kyle that would be great.
On the way to the funeral dinner Marc needed some time so he drove me by his old High School and told me all about the school, the teachers and some of his memories there.


On the way to his Grandmother's house for the funeral dinner I watched out the window at the beautiful sky and remarked on how beautiful of a day it was. The sun was bright and warm on your skin.................


The clouds were as white and as fluffy as they could possibly be................



Every where you looked you could see the sun streaming through. It was as if God's grace was shining down upon us, wrapping His love around us and letting us know that PapPap was with Him, he was no longer suffering from earthly pain and that everything was going to be okay.
It was a very peaceful, calming feeling. The feeling you get when you can just close your eyes and feel God's love surround you.


After the funeral dinner we drove to Marc's aunt's house. On the way we saw this house and Marc said "An old farmhouse for Rue! Take a picture!"



Here we played in the yard with all of the kids, talked to and pet the neighbor's horse, and had a nice relaxing visit with the family.

We ate dinner and played some more in the yard. They tried wearing the kids out with relay races involving spoons and eggs, matchbox cars, etc. It was really fun to watch. And afterwards they were exhausted.........

No, Kyle isn't sleeping. In fact he only laid here just long enough for me to grab the camera and snap this shot and he was off and running again.
After a long day we said our sad goodbyes to the family and got in the van to head home. The kids fell asleep before we made it to the end of the road- maybe a quarter of a mile- and slept all the way home. Praise God! We got home after midnight and put the kids right in bed. After that Marc and I talked a little about the day. He really opened up and for that I was grateful. Marc tends to keep his emotions inside because that is the way he was raised. He explained to me how hard it was to say goodbye to his PapPap, for all the normal reasons but also some that I had never given any thought to. He stated that there were four generations and today there is only three. It makes you realize that you are growing up, getting older and life is really moving forward. Life is not full of promises, we have no guarantees of what tomorrow will hold for us. We need to Praise God and be Thankful to be in the here and now. We need to take each day for what it is and make the most of it, but also make the most of ourselves so that we never have to look back in regret.
Goodbye PapPap. We love you and miss you but we'll see (find) you again someday!
-Heather

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cinderella, I'm so sorry! But you turned the story into a beautiful one, as that is the way life pans out. It was extremely sweet and intelligent what Kyle had to say. Sounds like you prepared him for life's ways the best you could. He sounds very precocious for his age! Hugs.
Brenda

Jo said...

Oh, I'm sorry for your loss! Beautiful pictures though, as usual. When my little brother was about 4 or 5 or 6 and saw the sun streaming through the clouds like that, he used to say that God was talking to someone.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Heather, So sorry for Marc and your's loss! My prayers go out to Marc! I can understand the "shrinking generations"...it is very sad! I never saw my husband cry until his dad passed and it was very moving and humbling, and he made reference to the same thing, about the generations slipping away, with each male death in the family! The pictures were great and what Kyle said was just precious!

Glad you are home safe and hope that you have a good 4th!

Hugs, Rhonda ;)

Rue said...

In the midst of his pain, he points out a house for me :)

Thank you Marc.
Psssst.... Heather... give him a big ol' hug for me ;)

This was a beautiful post sweetie.

hugs and love,
me

Nancy Hood said...

Heather, I shall send a prayer to our Father for comfort, strength, and to uplift your love for PapPap. A man never dies until he is forgotten. Sounds like this man shall live a long, long time. By the way, I love your song :)

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Heather and Marc my condolences on the loss of PapPap. Kyle's innocence is so sweet.
Hugs to you all!
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, I'm crying as I'm writing to you! I'm so sorry about PapPap and my prayers are with your family. It's hard to give up someone we love - even knowing they're going to heaven. We're happy for where they will be and the pain and suffering they had will no longer be. But it's hard for us left behind. I truly felt your heart! Your family is so sweet and your precious. I love the sweet old hymns playing in the background. Thank you so much for coming to see me and blessings to your family.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

StitchinByTheLake said...

My heart hurts for your family. Your little Kyle is one smart guy - you will find PapPap again one day, and what a party that will be! My parents both died four years ago and I look forward to our reunion. But your words of wisdom say it all - live the best you can today. Blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost all of my Granparents... It's never easy. Yes, Kyle... we will find them again one day... Susie h~

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I am sending you and your family big hugs and love on the loss of Marc's PapPap. But wow, he is in Gloryland....Hallelujah!!! What a beautiful beautiful post.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

((((Heather))))
((((Marc))))

I'm so sorry about your loss of your PapPap.

May he be forever with you - in your heart and soul.

Love,
Kim

Marie said...

I am so sorry for your loss! What a very beautiful post... Have a wonderful weekend.

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Oh Heather...what a beautiful and touching post. I am sorry about PapPap but I am sure he WAS there watching all of you and smiling. Yes, he is in a better place free from pain and you did the right thing with your kids - teaching them to handle some of life's hardest moments with grace & compassion. you are right - it's moments like these that make you realize what is important and how short life is and I am happy that your husband got to express his emotions with you by his side. Take care. ~ Laurie

Krissie said...

Heather,

My condolences to Marc and a big HUG!!!

What Kyle said was very sweet, you and Marc did a wonderful job with preparing him.

Love ya
Krissie