Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Sewing Lesson

From a very young age I wanted to "do it all". I could go from girly girl to tomboy in two seconds flat. I would sew and do crafts with my mother, hit yard sales to add to my china and doily collection, spend countless hours with my Grandfather in his garage working on cars and be elbow deep in the latest remodeling project or plumbing repair with my father. I loved it! At the time it was all just fun and games but as I got older I realized just how valuable these lessons were. I had a flooded bathroom in my first home and I was able to diagnose the problem, fix the supply line and clean up the mess. The alternator went out on my car- I replaced it myself. I love to paint and sew and never have to ask for help. Although sometimes I do, but that is more out of laziness than lack of knowledge. I remember my husband joking with me saying that one of the reasons he fell in love with me was because I came with my own set of power tools!!
It was very important when I started having children to teach them as much as I could. I didn't want to stick to the typical gender "standards" as were set in place moons ago. I want to teach my daughter how to use power tools and change her flat tires. I want to teach my son how to cook, do laundry and...............sew. I want my children to grow up very independent and not have to rely on other people more than they need to.
Today Bella was sleeping and I wanted to get my pillows done for the living room- finally. So I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to give Kyle his first sewing lesson. It actually went better than I had expected. Kyle asked a lot of questions and I did my best to answer everything in words he could comprehend. He is fascinated with anything electrical so the sewing machine definitely held his interest! He wanted to know how every button and gear worked.
I sat the sewing machine on the floor so that Kyle could see and reach everything comfortably. Not so comfy for mommy but it worked!

This is Kyle now telling me how the needle works! Apparently he was paying attention!

Uh, yeah................ I think he has the hang of it now!

The finished project! Even though I could have had 20 pillows done in the time it took to make just this one- it was time well spent! The pillow has it's imperfections but to me it is perfect!



I'm not sure who is more proud of this pillow- Kyle or Mommy!



Say "cheese" Bug! Mommy is so proud of her little man!
Well, I am off to do more sewing. Hmmmmm, he is such a great helper maybe I can get him to help me paint the bedroom later...........
~Heather :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, isn't that wonderful of you! He looks so cute and proud of himself! Good for you for teaching your children all these things, Cinderella. (Does Kyle also know his mommy is actually Cinderella?) I love that toile. Bought three yards of some red and cream myself a few weeks ago. And here it still sits...
xoxo, Brenda

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

I think this is one of the bestest posts I have read on a blog yet!! How cute!!
And you changed an alternater yourself, whoa! I am IMPRESSED. You go girl.
Great job Kyle!
Nikki

Rue said...

Great job Kyle!! Great job mom :)

I love that pillow!

Are you busy looking at red paint again? ;)

hugs and love,
rue

Mary said...

What a wonderful way to get a project done!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sweet... I just love it that he was able to help you.... what memories you are making with your little one...
HUgs
Linda

Jo said...

Oh, adorable! My brother learned to sew when he was about 5. He made a pair of shorts.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Tell Kyle that I think he did a wonderful job and I have some pillows he can make for me too! "smiles" Cute post! My little man broke his arm this afternoon! :( His ramp fell apart, as he was jumping it with his bike. Little bugger didn't cry at all! The hospital staff couldn't get over it!

I love the fabic of the pillows!
Hugs, Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory you made with Kyle. That is the sweetest post and I love the pillow. You can change an alternator, that's impressive.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Nancy Hood said...

Looks like some heart memories were made today :) ~Nancy

Marie said...

How sweet!!! I keep telling myself I'm going to teach my 9 year old daughter to sew, but I can barely sew myself! hee hee CUTE pillow!

I'm in awe that you can replace an alternator. I don't even pump my own gas...if I can help it. :o)

Picket said...

Ohhh fantastic post girl! I love that you teach your children all that you can...and tell little Kyle that pillow looks so good that I'd pay him for it!!..Have a great week sweetie!!!

Krissie said...

This will be a memory to treasure always!!! Now do Kyle and mommy want to teach me how to sew??

Awesome job on the pillow it looks great!!!

Love ya
Krissie:)

Anonymous said...

You go girl.. fixin' you car! What a sweetie you have there! His pillow looks wonderful! Susie H~

Rue said...

I miss you :(

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was at Rue's blog and she mentioned you and here I am. Oh, what a sweet mommy you are! Your little son is so cute and he'll probably remember today for the rest of his life. I'm new to blogging, so come see me sometimes.
have a beautiful evening.
Shelia :)

Rue said...

I'm so glad you're home :) Now get to blogging missy!!

love you,
rue