Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Little Oasis

As I have mentioned before we live in an apartment. One major drawback for me with living in an apartment is that we do not have a yard of our own. I love gardening so this hurts a little. We do, however, have a balcony. A very nice balcony. On warmer days this is my spot. I love to sit outside and just enjoy some quiet time. I have lots of flowers out there and an antique set of wicker that belonged to Marc's great-great-grandmother. We can leave it out there in the warmer months because we have a roof on our balcony that keeps it- and us- out of the elements.
I have been looking out at my balcony and feel like something is missing though. My flowers are planted in their little pots, my hanging baskets are up and looking lovely but the "room" just doesn't feel complete. I am an avid fabric collector. Uh huh. A weakness bordering obsession actually. If I am out and see a fabric that strikes my fancy I buy it and bring it home and stash it away in a labeled bin until I find a use for it. Awhile back I hit the mother load of estate sales. The woman used to be a "buyer" for a big furniture manufacturing company and had gobs and gobs of fabric. Mostly samples, but some nice pieces with yardage. I filled a garbage bag, paid my dues and came home and packed it away. Today, I dug it all out, including fabric I purchased this past Saturday at the Goodwill. I set up my sewing machine in my project room- a.k.a. The kitchen, and went to town.............


I really need a better place to sew though, let me tell ya! I made these cute little pillows for the wicker furniture! Here is the chair......

And the settee................

Aren't they fun? I recovered the seat cushion using the blue and white stripe fabric and all the pillows came from samples I had picked up at that estate sale. I have contemplated painting the wicker white.............. but this is the way it came from Marc's family so I think we should keep it this way. See my cute little chippy "coffee table" in front of the settee? That belonged to an old family friend of my family. It was her toy box as a child.



So there you have it! A peak at my little oasis......... and in the warmer months probably my favorite "room" in my entire apartment! And with today's sewing project it just became that much more enjoyable!
Hope you are all having a wonderful day!
~Heather :)


6 comments:

Picket said...

Hey Heather..thanks so much for coming by the blog...I love the pillows you made...fabric changes everything! I also love that fantastic bedding set you found on line in the other post....I love touches of red in a room..hope you have had a great day...come back anytime!

Brittany said...

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE your balcony!! You did a great job with the pillows. I could see myself curling up there on a warm day with a good book!!

I agree, I would leave the furniture the color it is. The toy box/table looks great with it!!

Big hugs,
Brittany

Unknown said...

I love planters on a balcony and your place is lovely. I envy that you can sew, I can't even thread a sewing machine. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Karen

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Love your pillows! The fabric is so pretty! Great job! ~Rhonda ;)

Rue said...

Hi Heather :)

Miss me?? LOL Well, I missed you. My goodness, I've been away for a while!!

Your porch looks darling! I wish I could sew, but I hate that machine LOL

I've got more to read here... ;)

hugs,
rue

Shannon said...

Hi! THanks for stopping by! I loved touring your home. I love all your cottage and antique touches. So cute!