Tonight was the night! I finished painting the china cabinet (with help from my wonderful husband) and Marc made shelves today to put inside. When he got home this evening I attached lace to the front edges of the shelves and installed them! Now remember my photography skills aren't that great- it really does look better than it does in this photo.....
I am SO excited it is finally done! What was supposed to take 2 weeks ended up taking 7 weeks... wow!
I ran into the office and carted out the big cardboard boxes that have been holding my dishes and teapots (my "lovelies") for way too long now. I was so excited and so emotional. I finally have a home for all of my precious things! My heart was racing, I was breathing hard, my palms were sweaty......... I opened the box and carefully started unwrapping each piece and stacking them in piles. Kyle and Bella by my side "Ooh-ing and "Ah-ing" with every piece I unwrapped. And then it happened. The first casualty of the night. As soon as I picked the next piece up I knew what it was. As I started to unwrap it though something didn't feel right. The more I unwrapped the louder the sound of broken china rung in my ear. I stood there looking at my broken gravy boat. I covered my face and broke down. This china is very special to me. It belonged to someone I loved very dearly- her name was Evelyn. She was not a blood relative but I had grown up knowing Evelyn and in her later years took care of her as she was failing. It was like losing an Aunt or a Grandmother to me when she passed away. She left me these dishes and countless other things that I hold very dear to my heart. The dishes were given to her from her mother-in-law when she got married and her mother-in-law had gotten them from her mother-in-law when she was married. So I really have no idea how old these things are. Evelyn always had beautiful things.......and they were always out in her home. She used to tell me "You should never pack your lovelies away- leave them out where you can see them and enjoy them every day. Your lovelies don't belong in a box." I couldn't help but think that if I had found a home for these dishes sooner that this gravy boat would not have been broken...
Sigh....... It hurts to even look at it. When I started crying, Kyle (not even 4 yet) says "It's okay mommy, we can fix it. I'll go get the tape and the band-aids." When one of his toys gets broken or a book gets ripped we always put band-aids on them to make them and Kyle feel better. I wish a band-aid would work for mommy's hurt. Bless his heart.
I pulled myself together and kept going through the box, holding my breath almost the entire time. Again, I unwrapped another broken piece. This time a bread plate. Sigh....
Everything made it in the cabinet safely and after a bit of arranging and rearranging it was done! Here is a little peak inside.........
My red and white china set. I LOVE this set. Number one it came from a very special person, number two- it's red, and number three, it is old and has so many stories.
Here is a close up shot.......

And here is a picture of a serving bowl. Look at that beautiful pattern................
And this is so neat. You can see in this picture the color variation in these dishes. I am not sure what causes them to do this but some are still brightly colored while other pieces are showing their age and have a very yellowed/tan look to them............
Here is one of my teapot sets. My parents got me this set for my sweet sixteenth birthday.

All of my teapots have a story and came from a special trip or were given to me for a special occasion.
Here is a close up shot.......
And here is a picture of a serving bowl. Look at that beautiful pattern................
All of my teapots have a story and came from a special trip or were given to me for a special occasion.
Here is a view of the right side of the cabinet...........
And the left side.............

And finally the bottom shelf..............
More teapots, my McCoy smiley mug (that my son has now claimed as his), and a full (huge) set of red dishes. I just got them for Christmas as a gift from my husband's Grandmother. She is such a darling and she knows I love red! Bless her.
So, other than a couple of casualties and a lot of tears, tonight was a great evening. It was a special night because I finally have a place to put all of my lovelies and display them so that I can see them every day- whenever I want. I am thrilled because that big- honkin' china cabinet can FINALLY be scratched off my to-do list and I can move on to other projects.
And finally the bottom shelf..............
So, other than a couple of casualties and a lot of tears, tonight was a great evening. It was a special night because I finally have a place to put all of my lovelies and display them so that I can see them every day- whenever I want. I am thrilled because that big- honkin' china cabinet can FINALLY be scratched off my to-do list and I can move on to other projects.
Can you believe I am actually thinking about painting my bedroom dressers now??? You would think I would learn............. but I am addicted to the paintbrush.
Have a great day!
~Heather :)





9 comments:
Good Morning Heather!
First, thank you so much for your SWEET AND VERY GENEROUS words about me and my blog - what a cutie you are! Thank you, thank you!
Second, LOVE your cabinet.. awesome, awesome job!
Third, I'm sorry that some of these precious dishes of Evelyn's broke.. one thing you could do is find a photo of Evelyn, put it in a frame and glue the pieces of the broken dishes on to the frame (mosaic-like) and place her picture on a shelf among her dishes to honor her, her dishes, her memory.... just an idea. What a lovely post - thank you for sharing with us.
xo,
Kim
Hi Heather!!
Your cabinet turned out awesome!! You did a great job. The arrangement of all your pretty dishes and tea sets looks perfect too!!
I hate that you broke some dishes. I know that sick to your stomach feeling...I've done that a few times myself.
Big Hugs,
Brittany
Your china cabinet looks beautiful! I'm sorry you found a few broken dishes though... they are gorgeous and I'd have been heartbroken too. I was going to suggest you maybe make a trivet or something with the broken pieces, but I really love what Kim suggested!
Heather, my heart breaks for you! I know how disappointing that must have been to find the broken, much cherished china. Save the pieces and you might could make a mosiac item with them! Penny, the name of her blog has slipped my mind, makes beautiful things with broken pieces of china in mosiacs. Her blog is listed on my favorite blogs list!
Your cabinet did turn out great! I think the red backdrop made the piece! And all of your china is beautiful! How sweet of Kyle to offer to fix your broken china! "smiles"
~Rhonda ;)
Your cabinet is beautiful. You did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing it with us.
And I'm so sorry about your broken china. I have some things that are special to me in that way too and it's heartbreaking when something happens to them. I love the other girl's ideas of using the pieces in some sort of mosaic.
Your cabinet is BEAUTIFUL!! Great job! I am so sorry about your dishes getting broken. I am not trying to sell you anything, but I do make jewelry using broken china. You could always do something like that with your pieces or maybe do a craft project like a mosaic picture frame and put a loved ones picture inside? Thanks for sharing your project with us. I am on the verge of painting my own china cabinet white now!! xoxo ~ Joy
Heather, thank you for taking the time to visit my "Southern Lagniappe" blog and for the sweet note you left.
I'm so glad to have found your beautiful blog and have added you to my favorites.
Your china cabinet is so elegant and I know you're going to love having Evelyn's lovely china where you can see it every day.
Sincerely,
Janie
Hi Heather, thanks for commenting on my blog! I recently discovered that I have at least 3, possibly 4 different people with the same name as you who comment on my blog, so I apologise if I mix you up ;-)
Your cabinet is beautiful! The white is so fresh and feminine. I'm sorry to hear about your broken china! I have my grandma's china, and while nothing has broken yet since I've owned it, it's terribly chipped, and only 2 or 3 of the teacups are usable. Most are broken and glued together. They still look pretty sitting in a row on top of my cabinets though.
Oh sweetie... I'm so sorry. I know how many issues you've had with your things that have been damaged. I think Kim had a great idea. Plus, you might be able to google the dishes and find replacements online. The hutch looks fantastic!!
Still reading....
hugs,
rue
Post a Comment