"Well, remember that little town we drove through last Saturday?" Me
"Yes." Marc
"I want to go back and go through that house!" Me
"Seriously?" Marc
"Seriously." Me
"That is what you want to do for your birthday? You want to break into a house?" Marc
"Uh huh." Me
"Okay- it's your day!" Marc
Now we weren't really breaking in. I called our Realtor. It's just an inside joke. Kind of. So, after Marc got off of work we loaded the kids in the car and took a drive. When we arrived my heart starting racing so fast I thought it was going to come out of my chest. She was even more remarkable than she was the first time we saw her.
Well, let's go up on the porch, shall we?
The warm sun is low in the sky. The rays are shining through the trees and casting a thousand tiny crystals across the face of the house. There is a scent of Jasmine in the air and you can hear the birds chirping in the trees.
Let's ring the doorbell...........
Hmmm...no answer. Well, we'll just go on in anyway..........
And I thought my heart was racing fast before! I walked in and saw this foyer and my chest literally hurt, tears filled my eyes...........I was in disbelief. I have wanted an old home since I was probably 12 years old. Whenever I saw it in my dreams, this is the foyer I saw.
You can go straight through a wide hallway to the kitchen. Turn right into the living room...
Or turn left into a small living room/parlor............

We'll go left first.......

A fireplace. The wall clear around the fireplace showed signs of heavy plaster patching. I am wondering if there was some ornate mantle there at one time.
The window on the front of the house is new, but the one on the side is original.....
We'll go left first.......
A fireplace. The wall clear around the fireplace showed signs of heavy plaster patching. I am wondering if there was some ornate mantle there at one time.
Now, let's go back into the foyer and check out the living room now. Are you ready for this?....
Rounded baseboards equals..............
ROUNDED ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! This picture does not do it justice. The sun was so bright and I was having such a hard time with my camera. The ceilings in this house are 10 feet high- 1st and 2nd floor. The windows are massive and there are lots of them. Makes taking pictures difficult.
And what is this I see???
Oh Yes! My friends.................we have pocket doors!!! 4 on the first floor and they all work perfectly.................other than being IN-CRED-IBLY heavy.
And yet another fireplace with a weird little mantle. Very pretty just the same.
It has these cute little grates in it...............
And all the accessories..............
Next up is the dining room............
Now you know I HAD to find a loose corner and yank up the carpet to see what was underneath! The floors appear to be in good shape!
Get a load of those baseboards! Kyle looks teeny in this picture.
To put this into perspective I put my foot up in front of the baseboards. Yes, I sat on the floor of a foreclosed home. In all of it's 1970's brown sculptured carpeting glory. Gross, I know. I took one for the team........I sacraficed for my blog. It had to be done. I wear a size 8 to 8 1/2. When I got home I measured..............10 inch baseboards!

But that isn't the best part.............
OH! The window seat surrounded by built-in china cabinets on either side! They fit flush with the wall because of the bump-out on the side of the house. Can I tell you how many times my heart stopped and how many times I squealed while going through this house!?!?!?
But that isn't the best part.............
Now, behind the kitchen is this very strange half bath. An old stairway perhaps??
And then we have the very modest but still extremely adorable kitchen......

With bead board on the walls.............

Cabinets that were built-in and painted a cute blue and white.........
Original window above the sink allows a lot of light! Off the kitchen is another pass through room that takes you to the bathroom, dining room.............
And this very large room in the rear of the house.............
It has several huge picture windows, double french doors, and this fun window leading into the mud room..............
With bead board on the walls.............
Cabinets that were built-in and painted a cute blue and white.........
The mud room/laundry room isn't anything spectacular but it is spectacular to have a first floor laundry room in a house this age...............
It could be a fun little space to decorate. Black and white checkerboard floor, pale yellow walls...
Headed back into the kitchen from the mud room- a dutch door! How AHHH-DORABLE is that??

Next we go upstairs.............
But you will have to wait until next time. Sorry. This house is just too big to tour it all in one post! Tomorrow we will go upstairs. And Friday I think we should take a drive through this historic little town. I will even tell you about the famous people who have lived here and a little more history on the Village. Does that sound good? Go charge your cameras..............there's lots to see! As for me, I have to try again to reach the Historical Society............I want to know who built this Gorgeous Gal!
Next we go upstairs.............
Until Tomorrow!
~Heather:)





16 comments:
Sounds splendid to me! Are you still fixing up houses?
Brenda
Oh, and happy birthday too!
Brenda
Happy Birthday!!! What a beautiful house! I cannot believe I got so far behind on your blog!!! Sorry! I thought I had been following yours and when it didn't pop up I figured you've been busy! I will make sure to stop by now!!!
Have a great day!
Kim
Thanks for stoping in . I had eye surgery May 14th . I'm seeing better and hope it keeps getting better . I guess I don't always have any thing to talk about so I don't post as much . I do comment on others though . a lot of us girls are on face book and talk there . I have a place on my blog to click to go there if you like .
That house looks great .
Happy Birthday .
Mary
Happy Birthday! What a great thing to do on your birthday....poke around a wonderful old house. That's my kind of dream house too! Is it a possibility that you MIGHT buy it or are you just dreaming? Either way...thanks for sharing and I look forward to the next set of pictures.
Hope you are still having a WONDERFUL birthday....mine is on Friday!! That home is GORGEOUS...I love to go looking at homes. My preferance is either OLD (like that one) or brand NEW. Those old homes just have so much character and can you imagine what you could do with it if you had the money!?!! Also, new homes are neat to me just because they are BRAND new and usually very nice. Now are you thinking of moving or just dreaming?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Heather! 32 sounds good to me right now, too! Wish I could go backwards! LOL! I have you by 9 years!
Fabulous house! I can just see the possibilities that you and Marc could perform in this house. It is beautiful, but as talented as you both are, it would be a masterpiece showhome when you were through. ~hugs, Rhonda :)
Happy Birthday, Heather! Oh, my goodness, what a wonderful old house. Are you thinking of buying it? If it's in foreclosure maybe you could get a steal of a deal. So many extraordinary details! Oh, y'all could make this old gal sing - I just know it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Happy Birthday! What a cool way to spend it. That is one big house. And a round room! How do you place furniture in a round room? Would love to take a shot it though.
Looked like the kids enjoyed the trip as much as you. Can't wait to see the rest!
Dawn
I wish you a Happy Birthday, Heather. You sure had a good one. It's not often we get to visualize our dreams.
So, are you buying this house? or hope to??? Oh, I hope it works out for you. It's beautiful! Thanks for stopping by.
I love old Victorians also. This home has such potential. It's too bad that it needs so much love and $$. I'd love to see what you could do with it!
ohhhh Heather, he's just gotta buy you that for your birthday LOL great post, there's a house that I often pass & I can hear it call out where you going! come back! LOL
Thanks for stopping by to visit me
Helen
I am a bad bad Barney... I wrote your birthday down on my calendar. Do you know what month I put it on??? July 9th. Ugh.
Happy Birthday from your dead beat friend! LOL
Oh and this house.. two words...
BUY IT.
love you
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!
Oh man, *that* is my kind of birthday, lol....
I'm cracking up that you pulled up the carpet! You are SO like me, ha!
I'm a sucker for those wide baseboards too.
Those built ins aroudn the windows. GAH!
The dutch dorr! GAH!!!!
The turret room! GAAAAHHH!!!
Ok, you're killing me. Is this home a possiblity for you? Or just a fun dream to walk through?
Either way, it's wonderful.
Just gorgeous! I love the round living room, and the huge baseboards, and basically everything about it! That's how I would chose to spend my birthday too ;-) Happy birthday!
Post a Comment