Friday, November 21, 2008

Cali's Room- Part One

Life with three kids is a little crazier than I had imagined. I used to be able to get things done- both the "needs to be done" and the "would like to get done". Nowadays when I do have a spare minute all I want to do is sit down and just breathe. The problem is, when I do sit down to relax, I can't. I feel guilty for not getting something done, and I look around and see all the things I would like to get done.
Cali's room is the perfect example here. We moved Kyle out of this room and into his "new, special big-boy room" over a month ago. Granted, I have been cleaning and sorting through years of collecting and, well, just stuff! Once I finally cleared the majority of the room I was left with only the things that will actually stay in Cali's room. I have been keeping the door closed in an effort to forget that it is there. Forget all of the work that still needs to be done, forget painting the walls, forget making the curtains, the bedding, etc etc etc.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am very excited to give Cali a special room and my heart leaps at how cute it will be when it's done. The list of things to do and make for her room seems endless though. Instead of breaking it up into small tasks I have been looking at the big picture and I have overwhelmed myself. So, I decided to do something drastic. No, I am not hiring anyone to do it for me. I am going to post a weekly (or more) update of my progress in that room. I am going to MAKE myself do this so as to motivate me by means of making myself accountable. Accountable to you all. Accountable to Cali. Accountable to myself. Accountable for the sake of a put-together-finally home. So, here goes.............

I am SO excited first of all with this dresser! This was given to me by friends of ours who used to work in a hotel. It is a hotel dresser. I scrubbed it inside and out and then lined all of the drawers with contact paper.

Now, before you go and think I have completely lost my (decorating) senses I will tell you why I am excited about this. I wanted a window bench in Cali's room. Something with storage underneath. This dresser is the perfect width, depth, and height and lines up right under the window! And it is super sturdy!

And this is what I have done with it so far.......................

I made a little ruffled skirt that wraps clear around it and hides the faux oak finish. Now, the window bench is not done yet............I still have to get my foam padding for the seat part AND sew a cover for it AND finish all of the pillows. I want lots and lots of pillows!!!


On each side of the window bench will be shelving for Cali's books, baskets of toys, etc. I already have two matching lamps (Won the pair for $5 on eBay!!) that will sit atop each bookshelf.
I have already started sewing pillows for the window bench and for her bed. I plan on getting a white iron daybed which I will show you in another post. First, the pillows............



I only finished four pillows today. But four is a good start. I LOVE and ADORE this bunny fabric. It is so whimsical and fun!!




Cali's room really won't have a theme. I don't really care for themed rooms. However, with the fabrics and accessories I have purchased over the last several months I am seeing a pattern.................lots of bunnies! Overall Cali's room is going to be light, bright, girly, fun and cozy. Lots of small details but nothing that stands out more than the other. It will be like a little surprise every where you look!



Aren't they cute??




I want her room to have longevity. Especially since it is taking soooooooooooo long to make everything!! LOL!!! So far her window treatments are done but not hung. I don't want to hang them until after I have painted so I will show those later. Plus, they feel like they are still missing something so I will have to ponder that for awhile. Window bench skirt is done, pillows are started.................................. and still so much to do! Better go get busy- I have a lot to do before next weeks post!
AND DON'T FORGET!!!! If you haven't entered the drawing for the giveaway yet- go to the previous post!! Get your name in there!!!
~Heather:)

14 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh yes, Cinderella, it is simply adorable! I love the bunnies. And the whole idea of what you've done with the hotel dresser. I have one similar to that that I decoupaged. But that is perfect for a little girl's room. I don't know how you get anything done and stay sane with three kids! My daughter is about to have her second and thinks she's losing hers before Marley is even born!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Her room is going to be precious. What a great idea for the windowseat. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

How CUTE are those BUNNIES?! Just Love 'em to bits!! You are so talented and I cannot wait to see this work in progress... I hope everyone has been doing as well as possible in your home... have missed visiting with you, alot... How is your Etsy venture coming along? If I do not get back before Thursday, please have a blessed Thanksgiving... Thinking of you... God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Justine said...

Girl, you are too hard on yourself! Look at all the progress you've already made. And boy, those bunnies are SO cute. They're different, which I love.

Justine :o )

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Wow! you have been busy! It's adorable! I LOVE the bunny fabric, so sweet and whimsical. And the window bench/dresser is such a great idea! You get hidden storage and she will get a cozy spot to daydream! You've got the vision! Seeing the hidden potential in things and making them beautiful! you should feel very proud! You being a Mama to 3, starting your business AND finding time to SEW & ORGANIZE. You are putting me to shame!! ;) lately I have been more about "concealing" than organizing! But sooner or later that catches up to me and I can't find a darn thing! Thanks for visiting me - I really think it's a great idea to frame that needle point piece. You've got the wheels turning with me thinking "did I throw out my 50% off framing coupon from Michael's?" Excuse me now while I go dig through the trash! Have a great weekend! ~ Laurie

SmilingSally said...

The bunny fabric is so cute. Happy Pink Day.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Heather, WOW!! You have done a wonderful job!! Give yourself a pat on the back. I love the bunnies. Remember one day at a time. You will get everything pulled together. You're off to a great start. The bench looks adorable. How clever of you!! And just think of all the money you saved!! I was so happy to see you stopped by my blog!!
Hugs, Terrie

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! Oh, little Calli's room is becoming so beautiful! I love what you've done and those little pillows are so precious.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

very pretty what little girl would't love a window seat...cute pillows..thanks for sharing...hugs and smiles Gloria

nikkicrumpet said...

The window seat idea is a great one...I always thought that would be so cool for a kid to have somewhere to curl up and day dream! And that bunny fabric is beyond adorable...the pillows you've made so far are so dang cute. She is going to love it when it's done!

Krissie said...

Hi Heather,

I know where I will be christmas shopping this year~ Mom has already picked her favorites and so have I!

The window seat is coming along great!! Can't wait to see it all done keep up the great work!

Love ya
Krissie :)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and love the newest post for your daughter's windowseat - hope you don't mind but I think I have to steal your idea! The pillows are adorable as well!

Anonymous said...

After you finish Cali's room, will you come do mine? It's in desperate need of a makeover and I'm loving everything you've done in her room! What a great idea to cover the bureau and turn it into a window seat! I've done several posts on window seats - they're one of my favorite things!!! Thanks for stopping by my repurposed Christmas card post - I'm so glad you liked it! ... Donna

Jo said...

Oh, I love that fabric! It's perfect for a little girl's room. I've always wanted a window bench. Cali will love her room when she's old enough to notice ;-)