Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Busy Days & Unexpected Emotions

What a busy couple of days it has been! I got to pick up my van from the service center. Again- the dealership went above and beyond my expectations as I have never experienced a dealership as wonderful as them! They had to replace some sensors and fix our braking system and the van and brakes feel better than they did when we got it!! Best of all, everything was covered under our warranty so that was fantastic. Kyle did not want to leave the rental car there and insisted we bring it home with us! He liked it because it was red. After we picked up the van we drove to surprise Marc with a backyard picnic. He is still working on the bathroom remodel for a relative and we missed him so I thought this would be a fun thing. Well, he was at the painting phase of the project and let me tell you- my husband HATES to paint. Needless to say I got suckered into painting the bathroom for him and we got home after ten o'clock. Yesterday I had a prenatal visit which went really well. I got to hear Calista's strong little heartbeat and it always tears me up when I listen to that precious sound! And I found out that I had gained 14 pounds since my last visit 3 weeks ago! Oh my! Guess I better lay off those Doritos and ho ho's!
After we left the doctor's office we went back over to see Marc and take him dinner. Because if I don't take him food he will literally forget to eat. Well, I got suckered into helping him again on cosmetic details and installing the new sink and medicine cabinet. It is coming together so beautifully! By about 8pm the kids were starting to get a little tired so we took off headed home.

I decided to drive by "our" house again which I do every time we are in the area. It actually isn't our house anymore..........it was our first house. One decision that I regret the most is moving out of that house. The day we were moving out I watched the house become more and more empty and I felt like I wanted to change my mind. I knew I couldn't and even felt like maybe it was emotions driven by hormones or fear of making such a big change. Well, those emotions and feelings never did subside. I think about that little house all of the time. It was our first house! It was tiny- only 1,100 square feet, 3 bedrooms and one bath. Really small. The house sat on an uncommonly large lot for the area. It had a third of an acre and in the backyard there were tons of tall trees and a huge creek that ran through the property. We used to go back there and just watch the wildlife and listen to the water. And it wasn't just about the house....... it was the neighborhood. We had wonderful neighbors that quickly became our friends. We would sit out on our front porch with a pitcher of tea and they would come over with their drinks or snacks to share and shoot the breeze for hours at a time. We were remodeling a bedroom one time and some of the neighbors just showed up with tool belts and said "Where do you want us." It was an amazing little street full of the most wonderful people. You really had that small town feeling in the heart of a big city.
Last night as I was driving down our old road something caught the corner of my eye so I looked in the rear view mirror and slammed on my brakes! (and I wonder why I have brake issues?) What was that I saw? I backed up and parked in front of the house to see a For Sale sign planted in the front yard. My heart was beating so fast it hurt. I felt short of breath. I called my husband and left a message "I am sitting in front of our house and guess what I see!?! A for sale sign! Baby! Our house is back on the market!" I hung up and sat in front of the house and just stared. And then, for some reason, the flood gates opened. I started crying uncontrollably. I saw Kyle learning to walk in the living room and playing in the front yard chasing bubbles that the neighbor boy was blowing, I saw all our old neighbors sitting on the porch and steps at our July 4th party. I saw my curtains blowing in the breeze and smelled the fresh paint from my months of painting all the woodwork. I stared at the Christmas lights glowing in the freshly fallen snow as I watched carollers walking down the street. I saw my little boy's face peeking out the front window waiting for Marc to pull in from work. So many memories are held in that house.
In my mind that little white house by the creek will always be my home. I looked around at the house and it seemed so sad. The yard was overgrown, the flowers needed weeded, the blinds looked broken and the house was completely dark. I pulled myself together and called my sister and told her about the house. She talked me all the way home. I know there is no way we can buy our house back. Not now. It is a great price but it is too far from Marc's job and we still haven't sold our last house. With a baby due in three months it wouldn't be a good idea to make a move anyway. But that doesn't make me accept this any easier. My heart really aches for that little house. I came home and looked it up online and found that the woman who bought it from us lost it in foreclosure and she hadn't paid taxes for almost two years. My heart ached for her and her situation- whatever is may be. Because I know if she loved that house even half as much as I do then she must be hurting too. It may seem silly but I have been crying off and on since last night. Missing my house and knowing that it could be possible now for us to get it back because there is after all a sign in the yard.......... but it isn't possible. And that is a very tough pill to swallow. I wish now that I hadn't driven by the house last night, I wish I hadn't seen that sign. If it was sold and bought and I was none the wiser then I would have been okay. Knowing that it is at the tip of my fingers though...................... that is a completely different story.
Here is my little house...............

This is the picture from the realtor site. It was built in 1928 on an old wine vineyard. The vineyard had gotten some kind of wrath or disease that killed all of the crop and no future crops could ever be grown here. This house was the second house built in the subdivision. It was built by one of the less well-to-do families and you can tell by the cheaper pine flooring and woodwork through the house. There have been some updates through the years but fortunately most of the original character has been left in tact which is what attracted us to the house. This was the front room/living room that you entered from the front porch. This house has the most wonderful light! See all of that woodwork??? I painstakingly painted all of the woodwork throughout the house- every spare moment I could steal away for over four months. Normally I would not have painted it but it was cheap, soft pine that was in pretty bad shape and had an ebony stain on it! The white turned out gorgeous and actually highlighted the beauty of the details.

This was my son's first real room. This was the first room my husband and I did after we bought the house. Money was tight with a new baby and a new house so we bargain shopped and used a lot of creativity. We put a lot of love into this room and really liked how it turned out. To this day I still think it is my favorite decorating job ever!

The house had an amazing yard............especially the backyard. We would walk out to the back of the property and see deer and other animals every day. They were so fun to watch and knew we weren't going to hurt them as they just took their time and hung out. See the little bridge rails? The creek actually ran through the backyard and separated the lot so everyone built bridges across their lots!


And we had a lot of fun and relaxation time in our yard. What a great place to raise kids.


Someone told me once that a house is just a bunch of wood and some nails. But to me it's more than that......... especially if it has been your home or if you want it to be your home. This house would not be a dream home for most people but it was a dream when we bought it and we saw a lot of dreams come true while we lived there. I have fallen in love with houses that we have seen before and since this house but no other house has had my heart like this one. I have never been so broken hearted with any other house but this one. I think it hurts the most knowing that this house was mine and I let it go.
~Heather :)

13 comments:

Kimba said...

What a touching post. The longing you feel is real. Houses are so much more than sticks and nails. They are memories, family, shelter, love, protection and so much more.

Jo said...

I think this post is officially one of my favourites ever. I love how open and heartfelt your writing is. I'm still waiting for a home that loves me as much as I love it.

I'm glad your van is fixed and you can trust the brakes again!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Isnt it funny how we hold a special place in our hearts for our first home. Mine was very small too but big in other ways! Susie H

Anonymous said...

Thats funny here I am again! When I decorated the top of my cabinets I brought loads of "stuff" . Books and more books... Thats what I use to build the stuff up. The top of my cabinets have a bit of molding at the top so I have to lift everything. If you look close on my pictures you probably see em'! have a great one, Susie H

Unknown said...

Oh my, this post made me cry! I know just how you are feeling about this beautiful home! I recently wrote this post: http://bunnyrosecottage.blogspot.com/2008/04/reflections-from-little-blue-cottage.html
on my blog. I know just how you feel and I am so sorry you cant by the house back :( I wish you could.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Sending you lots of hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

Oh Heather! I feel the very same way about little houses! I love that song and think it is oh so true. In fact, I saw a sing that said that and almost bought it! I know if we ever move from here, I will be upset for a long time. Though I know we will have too soon. I hope you can have as many happy and beautiful memories in your gorgeous new home as you did in your precious little white house by the creek :)

Loves of hugs,
Amy

Brittany said...

Oh Heather, if you only knew how I understand. When we bought this house it was not exactly the house of my dreams. That magic just wasn't there. I would cry alot the first couple of weeks here. I loved my old house SO much.

That house is the one that I recently remodeled and rented out. That same heartache was there the entire time that I was over there working.

Now we have this house, that I didn't care for in the beginning, up for sale. As I think about moving and redoing, I look at my gardens, and other little things. Do I realy want to move again? Oh why does life have to be so complicated!!

As far as my picture slide show on my blog, I use picture trail. It's so easy and simple. If you need any help fixing one, email me!!

Big hugs,
Brittany

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Heather, my heart hurts for you. Our memories are the base of our lives - we build on them. I'm way older than you but I've felt that same nostalgia for what used to be far too often over the years. As I look back now on the many places we've lived (I've been married nearly 44 years!) I have the most wonderful memories of each place and of the people I came to know and love in each neighborhood. Looking back is fine, for the moment. Looking forward to the new places and people in your life to come will bring you joy as well. Embrace the new....while holding tight to the memories.

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Oh Heather,
You made me cry. What a touching post. Your house is a beautiful house and I can see why you fell in love with it in the first place. The backyard is beautiful.

People that love old houses, share a special place in my heart because I know what it is like to love old houses.

I do feel for the lady that lost this house, she must be so sad as well and I truly hope she has somewhere to live and someone to watch over her.

If wishes could make it so - I'd wish you your house back.

Take care and I hope your spirits are lifted a little by knowing there are other people who feel your love for this house or one that they once had in days gone by.
xo~Tracie

Lynn Hasty said...

Heather, my heart goes out to you. I hope you feel better about it soon. It's so kind of you that your heart is hurting for the woman losing the house as well. It sounds like your family bonds with your children and your husband, as well as your neighborly spirit will cause you to have a good "home" where ever you are.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Lynn

Unknown said...

Heather,
I felt the way you did when we moved from our longtime home. The area had gone commercial, and we really had no choice. But the memories I held there of my kids and their growing up years I will always treasure. Thank goodness for pictures! We have a nicer home now, but I'll always treasure the memories of the home we spent so many years in.
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment!
Diane

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your house. it was definitely a lovely home. But your new home can be the same... think of all the loving & wonderful memories you will have with the new baby, IN your new home. It will get better! xoxo, Joanna

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Oh, I feel for you!! What a great house. You choked me up!
Nikki