Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Happy Birthday

My big sister is five years older than me. She is my only sister- and quite honestly, I could not have asked God for anyone better. She is so many wonderful things wrapped into one package.

She is my best friend, my wing man, the person I look up to. She is an amazing Mom to her two daughters. I look up to her for the way she has mothered her children. I have gotten so much good advice, so much support and strength from her in my own journey through mommy hood. I have learned so much just by watching her.

She is a preschool teacher like no other- she comes up with the most amazing lesson plans, she captures the children's attention and they learn so much from her! I had the wonderful opportunity to work with her for awhile and I was always amazed when I watched her work.

She is a go-getter. Once she sets her mind to something she accomplishes it. She is a writer- a great writer. She writes amazing children's books. She has wanted to be a published author for as long as I can remember. A few years ago she self-published a book of hers. Later, she self-published her second and now her books are being sold on Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc. She even went on book tours. She would travel the state going from school to school telling about her books, and once again- captured the attention of all who was in attendance.

She is a creative genius. Seriously. The girl can do anything from writing children's books to sewing to scap-booking to polymer clay creations. She comes up with the most amazing ideas and quickly puts them into play. She does so with such grace that it looks as though she puts no effort into it- but she does.

She is an awesome photographer. She really has "the eye" and captures moments with her camera that most people can't see on their own. Not to mention she is the only person who has ever been able to get a picture of all three of my kids with their eyes open. She's gooooood.

She used to help me with my homework and stuck with me until I figured it out. I used to confide in her with my boy issues. She helped me get ready for prom- and when the barrette wouldn't stay in that first year, she hot glued it into my hair. LOL! I have so many memories of my sister, I couldn't possibly list all of my favorites.

She has always been there for me. She has always guided me and "held my hand"- even when she didn't realize she was. She has always told me like it was- even if she knew I wouldn't like her answers. I have always respected that quality in her.

I have always looked up to my big sister. Even now, as an adult, I still look up to her. And I think I always will. She means more to me than she will ever know. She has taught me more than she will ever know. She has inspired me more than she will ever know. Her friendship means more to me than she will ever know. And I love her more than I could ever, ever express with words. How could I possibly describe a person who I feel is possibly one of the best people on the planet earth?



HAPPY BIRTHDAY O SISTER GORGEOUS ONE!!!!!!! I love you to the moon and back. Seriously.
Oh- and I am really sorry again that I drew apple boobs on your perfect horse drawing. ;)
Love
Heather:)

7 comments:

Jo said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sister! My sisters are two of my very best friends. I wouldn't be the same person without them.
LOL at the hotglue in the hair! Did you have to cut it out at the end of the night?

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Happy Birthday to your sis! Oh my... hot glue?! Apple boobs? LOL!!

Such wonderful words about your sister... but I think you're a LOT like her just from what I've read.
Hugs!
Nik

Melanie said...

You make me laugh.

You make me cry.

Funny. funny

I love you

-O sister gorgeous one

Krissie said...

Happy Birthday Melanie!!!

How did you get the barrette out?!?! Maybe I don't want to know the answer to that one?!?

You are both Gorgeous!!!

Love ya
Krissie

aimee said...

what a super sweet birthday post to your sister. aren't sisters the best. i laughed so hard when i read about the hot glue gun! such a sister thing.
blessings,
aimee

Rue said...

Ack! I missed your sister's birthday.

Happy Birthday Melanie!!!!

I miss you Fred... email me!

love,
Barney

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Heather~ Sorry to just now be getting around to visiting your blog! Thanks for your comment on Smelling Coffee. I praise God that He used that post to minister to you when He did. I've prayed for you, and am thankful to have "met you" through the blogosphere!

Happy Birthday to your sister. What a wonderful tribute you wrote about her.

Blessings to you today... and to your daughter...
Jennifer