Saturday, July 25, 2009

Miscellaneous Parts- Surprise Surgery

Monday morning I had a meeting with our investor at the flip house. We were meeting a realtor who was going to do an evaluation for us. The meeting did not go well, as far as I was concerned, and I left overwhelmed. When I got home I laid the kids down for a nap and I laid on the couch feeling mentally and physically drained. Monday evening after we put the kids to bed, I went to bed. I could not fall asleep. Around 3 a.m. I started having excruciating pain in my abdomen. Pain that had me doubled over and curling up in a fetal position trying to find relief. I was so nauseous I kept running to the bathroom. I would compare the pain to labor pain but sharper, more stabbing pain. I felt like crying but couldn't- the pain was so bad it literally took my breath away. Around 7:30 a.m. the pain eased a little but didn't really stop.


My friend Krissie called and I told her about my night. She told me I needed to call my doctor and get an appointment asap as it sounded like my appendix. I told her I thought it was just stress. She persisted and was so adamant about me calling my doctor that I got off the phone with her and called the doctor's office and made an appointment. When I gave the receptionist my symptoms she insisted I come in within the hour. I called Marc home from work to watch the kids and went to my appointment. I saw an internal medicine specialist who asked a lot of questions and did an exam that made me come up off the exam table. He told me that he was almost 100% sure it was my appendix and instructed me to go home and pack a bag and head to the emergency room. I called Marc on my way home and told him what was going on. He had the kids ready when I arrived and we headed for the emergency room.


I didn't have to wait long to be seen. They took me back pretty quickly and started testing almost immediately. Blood work, urine samples, etc. Marc's Aunt came to the hospital and picked up the kids and took them to her house. I was given a contrast to drink to prepare me for a CT and they inserted an IV in my arm. The contrast drink was horrible. It tasted like lemon Pledge and took me awhile to get it all down. Not something you want to drink- especially since I was already nauseous. I had to wait two hours after drinking the contrast before I could have my CT done- to make sure that the contrast was clear through my system. After the two hours they wheeled me in to have the CT done. More contrast dye through my IV.........oh my! If you have ever had that done it is awful! The contrast ,that they put through that IV, makes you feel like your insides are literally on fire and I could taste alcohol in my mouth. It was miserable.


The CT results were back pretty quickly. The nurse was reading them and shaking her head as she was walking into my "room" in triage. "Your appendix looks pretty bad and needs to come out- tonight. The OR is being prepped and they will call when they are ready for you."
I cried. I am terrified of surgery, of needles, of knives, of anesthesia. All of it. The nurse said "It's going to be fine honey. We are all walking around with miscellaneous parts. You won't even know it's gone." I wasn't crying because I was going to miss my appendix. I was crying because I was afraid. Really afraid. And, of course, really tired. She explained that the appendix had not burst yet so they were planning on going in laproscopically- but if the condition changed, they would have to "open me up". I told her not to tell me anything else. I didn't want to know. I looked at Marc for comfort but he looked concerned too.


Fifteen minutes later they were taking me into the Operating Room. I was really worked up by this point and they had to give me a "relaxer" in my IV to calm me down. The last thing I remember is this sweet woman's face introducing herself "Hi. My name is Vivian. I am going to be your anesthesiologist and we are going to have some fun tonight! Okay?" I don't remember if I responded..... but I do remember thinking that she had a very messed up idea of fun.


I woke up in the recovery room but don't remember anything until I got to my own room. Marc was there and I loved that he was the first thing I saw. He was there for me- just like always. He immediately started telling me that the kids were having fun at their aunt's house playing with their cousins. He knows what I want to hear! My mom was on her way and was going to stay for a couple of days to help with the kids until I felt a little better. I stayed in the hospital until Thursday evening. The doctor acted as though they would keep me another night so I was excited when the nurse told me it was my call and I could go home if I wanted. I missed my kids. I wanted to be in my own bed. And Kyle's birthday was Friday- I couldn't be in the hospital on Kyle's birthday.


Marc stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and filled my prescription for Percocet. I had hoped to not need it but unfortunately I have had to take it every four hours just to stay ahead of the pain. I don't even like to take Tylenol when I get a bad headache so this whole narcotics thing is really making me nuts. I am on a weight restriction- no lifting anything over 15 pounds. Have I mentioned that Cali is almost 25 pounds??? LOL!!! No driving until I go back to see the surgeon in two weeks. I have to check my temperature a few times a day to make sure I am not getting an infection. Most of all- drink lots of clear liquids and take it easy. Hmmmm. That is going to be a hard one but lucky for me I hurt way too bad , am way too tired and have nooooooo energy to disobey those doctor's orders! So I will be a good patient because I do not want to end up back in the hospital any time in the near future. Or the far future as far as that goes!


I am so very grateful to have such wonderful family and friends, and to be surrounded by such a fantastic medical community. As scared as I was ,I also knew that I was in the best of hands when it came to my medical care. That is such a good feeling to have.


I guess the moral of this story is that you shouldn't blow something off! If you feel you need to go to the doctor or if a friend or family member encourages you to go- go. It may be nothing but it could be something. I never realized how serious this was until it was explained to me by my surgeon- after the surgery took place. Funny how a "miscellaneous part" can cause so many problems. LOL!!!


~Heather:)

I apologize for whatever grammatical errors, misspellings, or goof-ups I may have made in this post. I will blame it on the percocet. :)

10 comments:

onlymehere said...

I'm so glad they caught it before it burst. Percocet really can play with the mind so I'm glad your mom is there for a bit. Try to rest (yeah, I know when do mom's ever rest?) and get better. Cindy

Dawn said...

Take care Heather and enjoy the down time. I'm sure your mom loves helping with the kids. You'll be back on your feet before you know it.

My hubby had the same thing happen when we were first dating. They gave him codine, which he is allergic too, even though we told them over and over. Poor guy ended up with itchy hives on top of everything else!
Dawn

Nancy Hood said...

It's no fun, but try looking at it this way ~ enjoy the meds and get some rest :) let others wait on you for a change. Hope you're all better soon.

Anonymous said...

You poor thing, thank God for your smart friend!! I will be thinking about you! Sue

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Big HUGS sweetie! Glad everything went well, and that you called when you did.
I'm like you, I don't like taking meds at all. But good thing they're agreeing with you and keeping you comfortable.

Relax and enjoy your down time. Relax you MIND too. There's NOTHING that HAS to be done. Take care!
Love and hugs,
Nikki

Darlene said...

Oh girlfriend, I don't even know how you can blog after your surgery. I am sooooo glad you listened to your girlfriend. You could have died if your appendix burst. I am hoping today finds you better and stronger and well on the way to recovery.♥

Jo said...

Aw, you poor thing! I had nearly the same thing happen to me when I was 17. I didn't have to do any contrast drinks though. I hope you recover quickly! The pain is not fun.

Rue said...

OMG Fred! You scared me to death and I had no way to contact you. Thank God for Krissie and her messages! I don't have your email since it left when the computer died and I haven't called, because I didn't know if you wanted calls. I'm so glad to hear you're okay albeit in pain.

LOVE YOU
Barney

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
You poor thing...I am so glad you got it taken care of before your appendix burst!! I know you are in good hands with your dear hubby but you really do need to take it easy so you will fully heal. Sending big hugs your way.

LeAnn:)

Rue said...

Just checking in on you...

love you
Barney