Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Little Houses

My husband and I love little houses. Granted, we tend to go head-over heals and Ga-Ga over the occasional over sized Victorian or English Tudor. But when it comes to getting serious and looking for a house for our family- we are attracted to the smaller scale houses such a post-war bungalows and cape cods. When I say small-scale, I mean small square footage. We can't help it, it just happens.

I don't know if it is the dreamy images of tiny cottages adorned with lovely gardens, front porches and picket fences or the practicality of cheaper maintenance and lower utility bills. Marc and I both like to feel comfort and cozy in our spaces. We like the smaller rooms that can be easily decorated with the necessities and a few treasured pieces. We like the smaller yards that can be maintained easily and quickly as to maximize time spent with family. Less time mowing the yard= more time playing in the yard.

There is a certain feeling that a little house evokes for us. The feeling of closeness, security, togetherness.........comfort. The kind of comfort that wraps around you like a warm quilt on a winter's night.

Yes, we are perfectly aware of the fact that we have three children. Each of who comes with a huge amount of stuff. Children whose mother also has a habit of accumulating stuff. Too much stuff if you ask my husband!! LOL!!!


However, when we look for homes we always seem to be most attracted by the smaller ones. The larger the house- the more overwhelmed we feel about seeing ourselves there. The smaller the house (within reason) the more excited we tend to get. Our bigger concern is number of bedrooms opposed to the amount of square footage. Well, that and the kitchen. The kitchen has to be the "ah ha" in the house. Or at least have a size we could work with.



When I look at the little houses I tend to notice every single detail that they have to offer. Those tiny details don't seem to get lost or overshadowed like they sometimes do on the large houses.


And then you have the little houses that are completely void of character............such as the one that seems to have our heart-strings for the time being. As I have said before- Marc says I am attracted to the ugly houses. If there is one within a five mile radius I will find it and fall in love. Every time. Guaranteed. This little gem is crying out for some love and attention...........Doesn't she look sad?

I envision light sage-grey siding, dark blue shutters, a plum colored front door, new dimensional shingles and dormers on the roof, a new front porch with white railing, gingerbread mouldings and wicker furniture, window boxes filled with pink and purple petunias and ivy, and the front yard surrounded by a white picket fence with an arbor and a gate out front. A pergola over the garage door would allow for climbing wisteria and a flagstone walkway would guide guests to the front door. OH! And we can't forget about a cute new screen door!
The kitchen sold me on this house. It has the original 1952 cabinets that remain in great shape...


Pure vintage cuteness. Two windows invite the sunshine in all day!



The detail on the cabinets is just too cute!!


And there is even a little nook just begging for a built-in breakfast bench!


The two bedrooms upstairs have the rounded/sloped ceilings and storage under the eaves. The bathroom is also cute with it's original cabinets and bathtub. The inside of the house just needs tweaking: new counter tops, back splash and flooring in the kitchen and bathroom. The carpet would all be removed to reveal the hardwood floors. The basement is full and could be finished easily for additional square footage and a much-needed second bathroom.
The outside of the house needs the most attention. But the possibilities are endless.........

Can you see what I see? Brick-paver patio, a "wall" of hydrangeas, lanterns along the fence line....
You hear so many people tell you these days that you can't raise kids in a small house. My Grandparents raised 7 kids in a little bungalow. It was common back then for large families to live in small houses, having shared bedrooms and even shared beds. Do we really need a bigger house? Or is the answer as simple as-we need less stuff? How much space does one really need to live?
HUGS
~Heather:)
If any of the houses belong to you please let me know so I can give credit to you! Thank You.

9 comments:

onlymehere said...

It's funny you should post this now. We just took a tour of a very small house during my son's wedding reception. The owner knew that Larry's grandfather used to own the house when it was a two room house! TWO ROOMS for the entire house!! I made the statement that they used to be able to raise more kids in a smaller room. I grew up sharing a room with four other sisters for a time. Bunk beds saved the day for my parents. They had eight kids (one sister had married) in a small three bedroom house when they moved to this place. Funny but later when only four kids were at home they moved to a four bedroom house and I shared with my sister. I never had my own room until I had my own apartment then I got married and had to share again! We're now looking at smaller homes to downscale into. You had a few on here I'd like but my next home must be only one level. Health concerns make it so. I loved your post and hope all is going well with you! Cindy

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

We've come this realization ourselves. Unfortunately too late to still live in our sweet cape cod I still love but our current home is also small and cozy. I think in general people have gotten caught up with thinking they need massive amounts of space and trying to outdo their neighbors. We're very happy in our little home, I couldn't imagine leaving it. Honestly, more house is just more to clean if you ask me!
~Michelle

Kim's Treasures said...

Love your post! Love the houses too! I love your imagination for the house you call "ugly". You have vision! Are you moving????

Darlene said...

I think all of those houses are adorable. I LOVE the small, cozy, cottage style homes. Your vision for that little "ugly" home sounds WONDERFUL!!! LOVE the little kitchen...it is darling! So, have y'all made an offer yet.......

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

I have a thing for little houses too... I wish I could have several around the country, lol!

Too bad you can't buy the one next door to us. It needs some serious TLC.

This house is adorable, reminds me of the book,
http://rosescarlett.blogspot.com/2008/05/little-house-by-virginia-lee-burton.html
What a darling kitchen and I love the yard. Many possiblities.

I agree about the *stuff*. I'm not ready to give mine up yet, but I can definitely see it happening down the road. I'm tired. Big houses certainly are draining. By the time we get it all finished we'll be ready to move, LOL!

Best wishes, I'm so eager for you to find "the one". Perhaps she is it; she certainly does need some love. Your ideas for her sound perfect, I know she'd approve!

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Had to come back for a second look! A checkered kitchen floor would be SO cute.
So glad you found the book, I have two copies as well for the same reasons!

A screened in back porch or sun room would be awesome too. I am SO anxious to see the rest of the house!!

Jo said...

I love your vision for that house! It is adorable inside. I'm starting to really be attracted to little houses. Or at least houses that don't waste space, like the huge house KD's aunt and uncle live in. It's only 3 bedrooms, but has enough common living spaces for at least 3 houses. It made me uncomfortable, as pretty as the house was.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I couldn't agree with you more. I have always been drawn to smaller older homes. Even now our house is only 1700 square feet which I don't consider huge. My kitchen is small and I don't have a master bathroom. Everyone thinks you have to have a master bath. You make do with what you have and it's what you put inside that makes it home. I am not an advocate for big houses or new houses for that matter so I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed this post.

That kitchen is ADORABLE!! I agree a black and white checkered floor would really make it. Of course I love the color because my kitchen is green. I say go for the small house, you will be happier.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Dawn said...

Don't you just love the Doug Stone song. I thought I made a comment when you first posted this and mentioned this song but it must not have gone through.(I've discovered sometimes I dont' type the word right and hurry off before I realize it didn't post! I actually just came by looking for the update on Bella. Angie is sick again - 28 days since the last time! Hope Bella is doing well.
Dawn