Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Trying to Hold it Together

Have you ever had to deal with contractors? If you have it isn't always fun. Fortunately for us we don't have to use contractors too often because Marc and I know how to do most everything ourselves. However, our project house needs a new roof.........and it's a big one. With the weather in Ohio as it is right now we would have to take a week off to get it done. With Marc's busy schedule at work that is not an option. So, we hired a roofer to do the roof. An Amish crew that claims they will have it done in two days. It is a three layer tear-off with damaged wood replacement and new dimensional shingles. Two days. I suppose with their 12 man crew it is possible..................IF they would ever get it started. They were supposed to star this past Monday and with scheduling conflicts, permit issues and now bad weather...........possibly Friday.

As you can see in this picture they roof is desperate. See the pretty blue tarp on the roof? That is covering a series of holes that are leaking into the house. Fortunately all of the water is running down the outside of the chimney so the damage is staying to one area. However, we are going to come to a point where work will be haulted until the roof is complete. No sense hanging new drywall when there is water coming down! I have made several calls to the roofer and he is HOPING to be on the roof Friday. I certainly hope so, otherwise I will have no choice than to fire the poor Amish man who hasn't even technically started and find someone else. Don't want to do that. And in case you are wondering- no, we have not paid them any money yet.



Last night I finally figured out how to convert the weird bedroom layout into a more conducive space. Two of the bedrooms are connected due to a more recent addition. You have to walk through one bedroom to get to another.

So, I got out my tape measure and my painter's tape and played around with a "chalk line" as my husband calls it, until I go it right. I won't leave the door there though.

The "new" room will still be a decent size at 10x10. So that works.
I also removed all of the old door casings and prepped the spaces for the new, pre-hung, white paneled doors.


Picture me jamming the pry bar above the top casing and hanging from it like a monkey trying to get that bad boy down. Fun.
After that I started removing the wallpaper from one of the bedrooms...........


Stripping wallpaper is SO not my favorite thing to do.


We framed in one of the doorways that leads into the kitchen to allow for a better layout and more cabinet space. Marc had the frame ready to go and asked me if I would go cut the stud for him. I told him no, no way. I am terrified of the miter saw! So, he gave me an "Okay, I understand" look" and asked if I would measure and mark it for him. To that I happily agreed. As I was measuring the board I had this terrible wave of guilt come over me. I thought to myself, "we are in this together.............Marc can't do all of this himself.......it's time to step out of your comfort zone Heather." And without dwelling on it further I grabbed that 2x4 up, marched out to the garage and made my first ever cut with a miter saw. It was still scary, but I did it. Power tools do not bother me, I love them actually, but the miter saw scares the daylights out of me. However, I know I can do it now so I will keep cutting............and hopefully keep all of my fingers in the process.
Marc was extremely proud of me to say the least and I even had to mark my stud.........

LOL!! Doesn't our wall look good??? To the right of the newly framed wall will be a large opening/window to open the kitchen to the living room. It will span about 7 feet and really give a nice look. There will be about a foot of wall to the right of the opening and then the entrance into the kitchen.


Our plans to vault the kitchen were going to be costly and set us back quite a bit so a window is the next best thing- if you can even compare the two plans. As if!
While we were busy working Kyle was busy on a project of his own. He was building a "bench" and spent about two hours just like this hammering nails into the boards.


Bella ended up falling asleep while she was drawing so we decided to pack up and head home for the night.




Cali..................what a hoot she is. While we were sawing and hammering and demolishing this is what she was doing..............


Hee Hee!!! Isn't that funny!!! She is a great sleeper. I could watch her sleep for hours though. I love how she pulls her little legs up. She looks like a bug on it's back!!!
Again, first thing this morning the kids were asking if we could go to the house!! They love it there! One of the reasons I am sure is because-unlike our apartment- they can run and jump and be as noisy as they want and not disturb the neighbors. The house is a lot bigger than our apartment too and with no furniture in there they have a LOT of room to run around and play.
Have a great day!!
~Heather:)
PS Thank You ALL for your sweet comments............... you are all so encouraging!!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!










6 comments:

Pink Slippers said...

How about a walk thru closet between the two rooms?

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

HOLY COW! You guys ROCK! Amazing. I can't wait to see more... this is the best "reality show" ever, lol!
I'm so glad you did not quit blogging, aren't you??

I hope the roofers get busy soon. Kevin and my brother did my mom's roof and it is NO fun, esp. multiple tear offs. They said they'd never do another one, lol!

You're right, I bet the kids LOVE running and getting to be noisy in the house. I can't believe you can't sit down and rest while nursing Cali. Good Lord woman, I wish I had your energy!!

And way to go on your first stud cut, wooooohoooo!

LOVE the tile you chose for the bath too...

Rue said...

Hi Fred :)

Dang! You guys have been BUSY! The kids are helping too?? Y'all are like the Partridge family remodelers LOL I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Love and miss you too!
Barney

KKJD1 said...

Wow alot of work going on! I know you will enjoy your new home! Looks like the kids are already enjoying it. Hope you have a great Thursday. Blessings, Karen

Kim's Treasures said...

You were very brave...saws are scary! You guys are doing great!

Unknown said...

You are my new HERO! Way to go with the Miter Saw.....that's incredible and it's so sweet that your hubby was proud! Ya'll have bitten of a BIG Bite....but you have such a great attitude I KNOW it's going to be awesome.