Three days ago I checked the MLS again and didn't see anything exciting. The next day I saw the house! It was back on the market. I emailed our realtor and set up the appointment for today. Why am I so excited about this house- or any house in this market?? Well, there are several reasons. Number one is the price. Number two is that it is within 6 miles of all of our doctors- and when I am running with Bella 3 or 4 times a week 6 miles is perfect! Third.........Marc and I have always wanted to buy an old house and renovate it. I have dreamed of doing a complete remodel on an old home probably since I was twelve years old. Marc has been in the construction, renovation and maintenance fields for the last 20 years. There is nothing my husband can't do, repair or build. He is amazing. And I'm pretty darn handy too, if I do say so myself.
So, here's what you get for $26,000.00.
Tiny little back yard. Perfect for me who hates to mow............
Driveway to the left of the house....................
Now we go inside. Are you ready?? This is where it gets exciting...............
Welcome to the living room. Yes, that is the ceiling in a pile on the floor. Demo IS DONE!!
Bella was TOO funny. Clear through the house she kept saying "Yuuuucky! YUCK! Oh WOW!"
Look at these cute arches! At first I thought that paint was peeling from the walls but later realized the whole has had been wallpapered and the wallpaper was falling off the plaster!!
A view of the fireplace wall...............
Front window that leads to porch...............
A little peak hole into the staircase. I'm thinking a stained glass piece custom fit for the opening??
Ugly pink coat closet................
Ceiling laying on the floor............
Isn't that a great fireplace!?!?
Close-up of living room ceiling.............
Living Room and Dining Room floors are............mountainous! Can we say water damage??
Not a huge deal though. Next up is the dining room...................
Check out that chandelier!!!
The built-in china cabinets are equally as beautiful. Just look at the scrolled trim........
Moving into the kitchen...................
Again- demo is done! Well, started anyway!
This is the part I LOVE!!! This is where the range goes. Look at that arch!! I think my 36" 6 burner stainless steel range would look great here!!
Now, let's go to the basement...............
I have to admit I am terrified of basements. Absolutely terrified. Spiders live there. However this wasn't all that creepy. I was actually surprised by it. It wasn't bad- as far as basements go. And there were treasures hiding down there....
Now let's go to the second floor. First bedroom on your left............

The master.................

I have always loved the look of exposed brick. But I'd at least like it to be real brick! LOL!!!

All original hardware is still in tact! Love the glass knobs!
The master.................
I have always loved the look of exposed brick. But I'd at least like it to be real brick! LOL!!!
All original hardware is still in tact! Love the glass knobs!
Pretty hole in the ceiling.............. wrong place for a skylight I think.

Here is the only bathroom in the house. It actually isn't terrible.
Here is the only bathroom in the house. It actually isn't terrible.
This is the third bedroom. Complete with bright red carpet and an entire wall of cork tile. I kid you not. Classy!
If you go through the master bedroom closet you will find a staircase. Let's explore, shall we?

Holy square footage Batman!!!
Bonus!! After looking around carefully we found no holes, no damage to the roof that would explain the blue tarp. The neighbor said the bank sent someone out to winterize the house last September and covered the roof as a precautionary thing. At least that's what she was told. Who knows............we've never heard of that before.
We guess that there is another 300 or so sq ft of usuable space up here. A private oasis for mom and dad? An office..........a craft room...................a place to hide from the kids??

Oh! I almost forgot. In the bathroom there is ivy coming in through the window. Told you the ivy was everywhere. Sneaky stuff!

And once again outside on the front porch. The beadboard ceiling...................
Beautiful brickwork railing.................

Me. Awful picture- but hey, it was like 30 degrees with snow and sleet that just happened to be pelting me in the face. But I am happy despite the weather. I'm smiling because I think I just found my house...................
My husband's thoughts you ask?? Well, he thinks his wife is on the Looney Train headin' to Crazy Town!! But I have a feeling that he will be in line to get his boarding pass real soon.
Holy square footage Batman!!!
Oh! I almost forgot. In the bathroom there is ivy coming in through the window. Told you the ivy was everywhere. Sneaky stuff!
And once again outside on the front porch. The beadboard ceiling...................
Me. Awful picture- but hey, it was like 30 degrees with snow and sleet that just happened to be pelting me in the face. But I am happy despite the weather. I'm smiling because I think I just found my house...................
When walking through this house most people would see a mess, filth, an impossible feat. I see potential. I see something my husband and I can build together. I see an investment for my children's future. I see a dream unfolding into reality. Most people would say it's not worth it. I say you can't put a price on a dream.
So what do you think? Am I crazy for wanting this house??
~Heather:)





29 comments:
Dang it girl, I wanted to go to bed and you lured me over here!!!
First of all, what a gorgeous picture of you!
And secondly, YES!!!! I say go for it!! It reminds me much of a house I did with my ex.
The great thing about having to gut and re drywall everything is that it will be nice and insulated, and you'll find anything else that might be wrong, such as the electric.
Of course, this being said because perhaps we are both crazy, lol... but I feel these old homes have feelings and this one looks SO sad and in need. A loving family who see's her beauty within is just what she's longing for.
Less than 30, what a bargain. That stove!! That arch for the stove!!!!!!!
If that's what they're asking, can you offer even less?
Oh, I cannot wait to see how this unfolds!
I'm off to bed!! Busy, busy, busy....
Hugs girl!
Nikki
PS, love the music!!!
Yes I love it! I have always wanted to redo an old house too. So I say go for your dreams! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving! Blessings, Karen
Great house!!! I can totally picture that kitchen like you mentioned! LOVE that arch over the stove area. The house has a ton of potential!
The blue tarp thing is very common here in Michigan. If there's a blue tarp you know it has been foreclosed on.
I hope you get this dream house!!!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!
Kim
Oh, I love it! I think I should move to Ohio. Even a run-down old house like that in a nice neighbourhood here would be over $300,000. But then, even if we could afford it, KD would never go for it. He can be handy when he wants to, but he'd rather not be.
I'm sad to see I was too late for your giveaway. But congratulations to our winners!
Oh my goodness....sometimes I wish I lived in the states....you could only get a beach hut over here in the U.K for that price....and even the price for the house to be redone...wouldn't even buy you a one bed flat/apartment...you'd be looking at 245,000$ here for 1 bed......and for something like you have found in that condition we would be looking to pay about 500,000$...so I would definitely go for it...your only young once...follow your dreams......I wish you good luck and will follow your adventure with interest. My dream is to move to Somerset and me and DH get a nice cosy cottage...but the price will inhibit us here....so will keep doing the lottery....take care.
Oh my goodness Heather, how did I miss this post? It's perfect....well not yet but it can be! I too can see all the potential that it has and I think what you are thinking about doing to the kitchen is perfect! What an awesome stove....$26,000??? I can't believe it!!
One of my favorites is the little windows on the side of the fireplace. I really hope you get it.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving sweetie!
Hugs,
LeAnn:)
Absolutely not, Cinderella! If your husband can do the work, go for it! People lose money on old houses if they HAVE to hire out all the work. But hey, I see your dream. I want it for you. And I HOPE you get it! Keep us updated. Everyone deserves a big old house for their children to grow up in. WOW! The potential!
Brenda
The house has great bones! I love that fireplace and the windows on either side! I think you have found your diamond in the rough! It's a great bargain despite the money you will have to put into it, and I bet you could make an offer for less. If you and your hubby can do the work, that's even better!
Kady
Wow, keep us updated! I have a bloggy award for you over on mine. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Look's like a great project with a lot of potential!
Oh! I can totally see it! And I can totally see your family in it! I loved those built ins and that chandelier! The stove is a beauty and that attic space could totally be an office/craft/etsy space!! A beautiful color on the exterior would make it all the more charming! If your hubby is a handy guy then why not? if you can still stay in your current place in the meantime - I think it would be amazing! and i totally agree you look BEAUTIFUL in that picture. and content!Wishing you lots of luck with it! :) Well swing on by my blog - I have tagged you dearie! :) ~ Laurie
Hi Sweetie,
Hey when you get a free minute (is there such a thing with 3 small children) stop by as you have been tagged.
Hugs,
LeAnn:)
BUY THAT HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!! I see all the potential too and you would be stealing it! :) Love it!
I envy your vision and talent to make the dream a reality! For that price you can't lose with all he can do! I see some of the potential you see and hope that it all works out the way you want it to. If the foundation is strong and the roof is good then it's probably worth building on. Good luck, I'm anxious to watch it develop!
Oh my word girl! I am so happy for you! That home has so much potential just waiting for someone to come along and find it...and what a bargin price...girl follow your heart..this is so exciting! Take care sweetie and have a great week!
That old lady sure has some great bones. I see the beauty behind her mess. Sad to think she wasn't cared for properly. I don't think you are crazy at all and if your hubbs is that talented, can you imagine the "stamp" the two of you can put on that old girl? It's so exciting! I can't believe the price. There's a fixer about 2 miles from me, built in 1918...$499K. People are lining up for them out here because there aren't many left these days.
Yea!! I'll let you know when I get the package! :)
WOW! Your not crazy at all...... for $26,000 and your hubby is a handy man! You would be crazy not to take that chance..... I have always wanted to fix up and old house!
I came by earlier and looked at the pics, then I showed Rich the pics... he said to run for your lives LOL and I though about it for awhile. I think that if Marc can do the work himself and if the house won't fall down (INSPECTION!) you should do it :)
love you and miss you,
rue
The Lord will make a way if it is ment to be. His will is always best. I pray that God will show you and your husband, quickly, what the best decision is. I understand how sometimes it is hard to wait when you want something so badly. God Bless you and your family.
Just got the mail and LOVE LOVE LOVE the earrings and snowman!!! I didn't know I was getting the snowman too! That was a nice surprise! Thank you so much and I will be posting about it soon! Probably Tuesday. THANKS!!!
Hi there...found your blog through, well, I don't even remember how. Anyway, just had to comment to tell you how much I can relate to your house hunting. It took my husband and I seven years (and two babies during that time) to renovate our first home. As soon as the last room was done, I started looking for another, as my oldest was starting kindergarten and we wanted a better district. We looked and looked. Mind you after the first seven years of living through the construction, I told my husband, "never again." I wasn't prepared, however, for the houses that wanted a high price, and we still would have had lots of work to make it "our own." So...I found our current house. I'll spare you the details, but my husband's first remark when I showed him was, "are you sure you want THIS house?" I said yes...and we've been pretty happy here. The first project when we moved in was the kitchen...he took it right down to the outside brick and built in from there. It was really worth it. If you love the house, go for it. I also read about your little sweet pea, and I will say a special prayer for her tonight. Sorry about the long comment.
I surfed to your blog from Simply Dandy and thoroughIy enjoyed your post.
I am VERY excited about the house. Your pics show such potential
It makes me sad to see empty homes. I love to see old homes being revived and brought back to life. It could be such a dream house with work, work, work.
Go for it :-).
You are NOT LOOONEY.....very, very smart with a lot of creativity to see the wonderful potential in this STEAL! I'm in awe of you, and how great that your hubby is handy. I can't wait to see progress reports. And that STOVE...OH MY GOODNESS....what a find!
Hi Heather, Love your new blog background! Just checking in to see is you have posted anything new! Hope all is well with you, Marc, and the kiddos! :) ~Rhonda
Wow. That house reminds me of the one I grew up in. My parents moved into it a month before I was born, we lived there for 26 years. I've regretted many times not buying it from them before they sold it. I loved that house. It had a sunporch off what would be the master bedroom and one bath (there was six of us kids...you do the math..lol) Believe me, there's much you can do to a beautiful, big home like that.
Blessings
Lisa
Hi Heather,
Well the demo is done so you don't have to worry about that part?!?
You can customize to your style. The house is cute.
Great pic of you. It's great to see you with a smile!!!
Love the new background very YOU!!!
Love ya
Krissie
the price is incredible....You don't see those numbers in San Diego... =)
Post a Comment