Friday, October 10, 2008

Change is A Comin'

Actually change is here. It has been a busy couple of days. Bella seems to have grown up all at once. She went from being our baby/toddler to a big girl overnight. Within the last couple of days she has decided on her own to start potty training and give up her crib and sleep in her big girl bed!! When I got her up from her nap the other day she was sitting on the floor, had taken her diaper off and was putting on her Tinkerbell training pants!! So, every 20 minutes I was taking her to the bathroom and sitting her on the potty. We praised her for trying when she didn't go and praised her for peeing when she did go!! Last night she ran to the bathroom on her own so Marc followed her...........she sat on the potty and peed!!!!!! Marc, Kyle and I were screaming and clapping and jumping up and down and she was soaking it all in. Just seeing her walking around in her "big girl" panties kind of made me sad. I am glad she is healthy and smart and growing up but at the same time I wondered where all the time has gone. My kids are getting bigger and learning so much every day. It is truly a bittersweet time. As if it weren't hard enough watching her go pee on the potty.............yesterday at nap I tried to lay her down in her crib and she told me "No Mommy!" Bella walked over and climbed into her big bed. I tucked her in, sang her song, rubbed her back and walked out of the room. I stood outside the door expecting to hear her jump out of bed but she didn't. She fell asleep within 10 minutes and napped in her big bed for the first time. Last night when Marc and I were putting her down she again said no to the crib so we tucked her in to her big girl bed. She was so proud of her self and said "I Big." I wanted to cry but instead embraced her independence and looked at it as a very proud moment. We took a picture of her............her first night in her big girl bed............


She looked so tiny in her full size antique bed.................and so happy to be at this milestone. Later I went to check on the kids and this is what I found..............

Her big nightlight had burned out so she fell asleep over by the door and her little night light. Bless her heart. I picked her up and laid her back in her bed and rubbed her back until she was back to sleep. And she stayed in her bed all night!!
Speaking of my kids growing up........................

I was snapping pictures the other day of Cali while the older kids were napping. I can not believe how fast she is growing! They don't stay a tiny newborn forever. I can't believe that 8 weeks ago today Cali came into our lives. It seems like last week!!! 8 weeks already!?! Where does the time go?



She is so alert and loves looking around. She laughs a lot!


She is a very happy girl.................except the colicky times!! LOL!! For the most part though she is always smiling and laughing- at everything. She laughs at me and Marc and her big brother and big sister............she laughs at things on the wall, lamps, and whatever else grabs her attention. I love to see her smile. Whatever I am feeling, whatever I may be worrying about or mad about...........one smile from Cali lights up my heart and everything is forgotten.



Cali can even support her weight when you stand her on her feet..........and then she really gets to laughing because she thinks she is such cool stuff!!
As promised (albeit a couple days late) here are some of the fabrics that I will be using in Cali's nursery...............



We will be painting her walls a cheery yellow..........and I am scared. I love yellow walls but have always had a hard time with yellow. It has got to be the hardest color to paint. But I think I've got it now. We'll see! I want to accent with fabrics in pink, green and purple to pull out the colors of this adorable Bunny print from Jane Churchill. I got this designer fabric at an estate sale- the woman had been a buyer for a major designers only fabric warehouse. Steal!!



So much fun. Of course we have a lot to do before Cali's room can all come together but I will be working on the sewing every chance I can because there is a lot of it!!


See the Monkey fabric in the background? That's another Jane Churchill fabric from the same sale! Double steal!! After I get Kyle's room (now the den) done we will be starting Cali's room. After that, if I have enough energy left, we'll be working on the master bedroom.............finally! I think it's safe to say we will have enough projects to carry us through the winter!!! And I'll actually have exciting decorating stories and pictures to post about! LOL!!!
Hope everyone is having a great day!!
~Heather:)

8 comments:

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I've always said "Why can't our children stay "little" just a bit longer?". How wonderfully proud B must be to a big girl and Calle, I have to concur...8 weeks all ready?!
They are beautiful. Just beautiful. I can't wait to see what you create with all those fabrics.
Hugs and enjoy your day

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Sweet post Heather! I know just what you mean about the potty training. It was a big thing with me too. Still, he tries to pull up his own pants, zip and snap them and I can't help but enjoy helping him at this stage as he won't need me later.

Cali is changing so fast, how cute! And Bella sleeping in a big girl bed... what pretty bedding too!!

LOVE the fabrics for Cali's room. Are you still going with the one inspiration room, geese, etc?

Anonymous said...

Yah!!!! for Bella. She is a big girl and so sweet and Cali is looking so much older I can't believe it. I can't wait to see the nursery. Promise to post pics when you get it done.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

onlymehere said...

They do grow up so fast. I'm glad she decided to be a big girl, and yes, it is bittersweet but I never missed the diapers!! Cali has grown so much and is such a sweet beauty!! Our little Savannah is four months now and so it was just eight weeks ago that she was at the stage your little Cali is. They do grow so fast and it's just not fair!! I guess maybe the reason we love that stage so much is bz it doesn't last long! Cindy

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Good Morning, Heather! Great post! Bella looks precious in her big bed! David was so far behind the rest of the kids in the family, that he seemed to stay "a baby" forever, until my brother had a little girl when he was 4 and all of the sudden, he seemed so BIG! I'm torn with my kids growing up too! Wait until they start driving and getting college brochures in the mail! Oh me...my heart is breaking!

Cali is just precious, too! In the pics, she looks like a mini Kyle!!! I can't get over the resemblance!

Can't wait to see Kyle and Cali's rooms! The fabrics for Calli's nursery are gorgeous! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Rue said...

Hi Fred :)

I just got back from the dead. Well, not really, but it sure feels like it LOL

You've been busy! I love everything you're planning to do.

Cali is soooo big now! I can't believe it. Yeah for Bella too!!

Love you and miss you,
Barney

Pink Slippers said...

I love painting (well actually when my hubby paints). It makes things look new, cheery and clean.

Jo said...

Aw, your little ones are growing up! Bella is so sweet in her big-girl bed. I love the fabrics you chose for Cali's room. So sweet and girly! And they'll look great with yellow walls.