In late May 2007 we moved back to where we are currently living. Back to the pediatricians that we knew and trusted. June came and once again, so did the fever. Again- with no other symptoms besides a fever. I took Bella in to see the pediatrician that we loved and he referred us to the doctor that was owner of the practice as he felt Dr "K" would be better for Bella's case. I didn't care for Dr. K at first as I thought he was rude and full of himself but I quickly realized that I had misjudged. He was intrigued with Bella's case and amazed at how much I had documented over the course of the last few months. Keeping track on a calender the days- and even times- that Bella's fevers started, the temps throughout the day, and the day they stopped. I had journals of what she did every day, what she ate, how she slept, clothes she wore, places we went, people we were around, how she acted, etc. From my notes we realized that there was, in fact, a pattern to Bella's fevers. She was having fevers on a cyclic timeline- every 26-28 days- and they would last for 4-6 days. We decided to start running tests to see if we could find out what was causing her fevers. I had no idea what a whirlwind journey we were headed on.
Over the next several months I would meet with our pediatrician once a week, and during Bella's fevers I would take her to see him the day they started, about the middle, and then the day after they stopped. I took her to see many top specialists including: Infectious Disease Specialist, Rheumatologists, Cardiologists, Hematologists, etc. They all ran their own batch of tests and made referrals to yet another specialist and another. Bella had several tests done including: ultrasounds of almost every part of her body, every organ, a VCUG of her bladder, an echo cardiogram, x-rays, blood work, urine cultures, hearing and vision tests, CT, etc etc etc.
We were getting in to the best pediatric doctors in the country.........and instead of the 2-4 month wait that is typical, we were only having to wait 2 weeks at the most. With every specialist we went to we would hear "We wanted Bella in here quickly because her case is so intriguing." As a mother I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. I remember, however, that we had to wait almost 6 weeks to get in to see the rheumatologist. I dropped off copies of Bella's file weeks in advance for her to review. The day of our appointment we saw another doctor who sat in the room with Bella and I and asking a ton of questions. When I rattled off one answer he looked at me puzzled and said "What is that?" HUH?!? I explained it to him and he said "Oh." I was NOT thrilled when I found out he was a medical student trying to buy time for the doctor who was arriving late for my appointment. When she arrived she sat down and started asking the same questions that the student doctor had just asked. When I told her I had just answered all of these questions and he had written them down, and that all the information was in Bella's files she told me she had not "taken the time " to go through Bella's file and that we would need to make another appointment for a month from then to come back to see her. I was furious!
I, as kindly but firmly as I could, said "Dr. X, I respect the fact that you are probably an extremely busy physician which is indicative of the six week wait that I had before being able to get an appointment with you, however, I am here now. I do not plan on walking out of this room, making another appointment with your receptionist, wasting a $25 co-pay, and driving back home in the snow storm like I did to get here to waste thirty minutes of my day speaking to a medical student who never introduced himself as such. I waited six weeks, drove through a snow storm and paid my $25 co-pay to see you. My daughter has a condition that causes her to have cyclic fevers that come once every 26-28 days and I don't know why. I want to know why and the last specialist I went to referred me to you which leads me to believe you might have some answers. I dropped my daughter's file off almost three weeks ago- as you requested- so that you would have time to review it. IF it is still here I would like for you to go get it, bring it back in this room, and we can review it together." The doctor looked at me shocked. She asked me "What is your main purpose for being here?" I told her "I love my daughter and I want answers. I want answers sooner than later and if you don't provide them for me I will find someone else that can." The doctor left the room with a slam of the door and I hung my head and cried thinking I just ticked off the "best" pediatric rheumatologist.........someone who might have been able to help my daughter. Imagine my surprise when the doctor walked back in the room- with Bella's file. She sat down and we spent the next hour discussing everything we could think of. She ordered a few tests and recommended me to a hematologist. She said that he would be the next logical step in our process and depending on what his findings were we would know if we had to come back to her or not.
The doctor's put Bella on an Iron supplement which we had to give her three times a day and then have a follow-up appointment with the Hematologist after three months. In February 2008 we went back to see the hematologist and he was thrilled that Bella had not had a fever since starting the iron supplement. He admitted that even though he could not make sense of a cyclic fever due to an iron shortage it was the only thing that made sense. He asked us to keep him informed if the fevers started back up.
February and March came and went with no fever. Then in April and May the fever came back on the same day it would have been due on had she continued with them the whole time. This fever was not as high as previous fevers and it did not last as long. The highest it reached was 103 degrees and it only lasted for 68 hours.
On top of the fever issues I was having concerns with Bella's language development. She was no where close to where she should be developmentally and I feared that this was an effect of her high fevers. At two years old she was only saying six words- and even those were not clear.
So in June we went to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. They performed hearing tests on Bella and found that she had so much fluid behind her eardrums it was almost as if she were deaf. The doctor told me that it would compare to you laying down in a bathtub or swimming pool while someone tried to talk to you above the water- you would have a hard time hearing them but an even harder time making out what they were saying. The way Bella was speaking is how she was hearing the words- mumbled and jumbled- like you would if you were surrounded by water. Given Marc's family history with hearing problems and hearing loss the ENT recommended that we put tubes in Bella's ears- and soon. "Soon" ended up being very soon and less than two weeks later we were watching the ENT carry Bella through the operating room doors.

Marc and I were hopeful that maybe this was somehow related to the fevers and that once the tubes were in the fevers would stop. With July came another fever..........and another one in August. September went by quickly but every day I watched as the date, for when Bella should get her fever, get closer and closer...............and then passed by. YEAH!
Since the fevers had gotten lower and shorter in the last few months I was excited and even more hopeful than ever that maybe this was it. Maybe the fevers are gone!?!

There were so many days where I would look at Bella going through these tests and think that we were putting her through torture for nothing...........but then there were other days where I felt we weren't doing enough. I would be online every day and every night searching high and low for some kind of clue, some answer that would bring us a break-through. It got to the point where I could actually carry on an intelligent medical conversation with the doctors and not feel like an "outsider" in the medical "club". I would read something that would fit or make sense and the doctor would test for it. In fact, I was throwing around so much medical lingo that family and friends were encouraging me to go to nursing school. It wasn't that I had a love for medicine................I have a love for my daughter. There were so many nights that I would research online until I fell asleep with the computer on my lap.....or watch the sun come up and realize I hadn't been to bed........or go to bed and cry myself to sleep. I would walk down the hall and peak in Bella's room only to find Marc sitting at the foot of her bed watching her sleep- with fear, concern and love in his eyes. I remember one night watching him watch her sleep and I had to walk away as my eyes filled with tears. I didn't want him to know I saw him. I imagined what he was thinking and it broke my heart. Marc is a fixer........in profession and in personality. I imagined that he was staring at his little girl and wondering why he couldn't "fix" her.

I know that Bella's fevers are not God's fault........but there have been many moments where I have questioned Him, been angry with Him, doubted Him, and blamed Him for not providing an answer or a cure for us. There were also many times when I asked Him to give it to me- whatever was causing Bella these fevers, give it to me, make me suffer.........not her.
Marc and I were hopeful that maybe this was somehow related to the fevers and that once the tubes were in the fevers would stop. With July came another fever..........and another one in August. September went by quickly but every day I watched as the date, for when Bella should get her fever, get closer and closer...............and then passed by. YEAH!
There were so many days where I would look at Bella going through these tests and think that we were putting her through torture for nothing...........but then there were other days where I felt we weren't doing enough. I would be online every day and every night searching high and low for some kind of clue, some answer that would bring us a break-through. It got to the point where I could actually carry on an intelligent medical conversation with the doctors and not feel like an "outsider" in the medical "club". I would read something that would fit or make sense and the doctor would test for it. In fact, I was throwing around so much medical lingo that family and friends were encouraging me to go to nursing school. It wasn't that I had a love for medicine................I have a love for my daughter. There were so many nights that I would research online until I fell asleep with the computer on my lap.....or watch the sun come up and realize I hadn't been to bed........or go to bed and cry myself to sleep. I would walk down the hall and peak in Bella's room only to find Marc sitting at the foot of her bed watching her sleep- with fear, concern and love in his eyes. I remember one night watching him watch her sleep and I had to walk away as my eyes filled with tears. I didn't want him to know I saw him. I imagined what he was thinking and it broke my heart. Marc is a fixer........in profession and in personality. I imagined that he was staring at his little girl and wondering why he couldn't "fix" her.
I know that Bella's fevers are not God's fault........but there have been many moments where I have questioned Him, been angry with Him, doubted Him, and blamed Him for not providing an answer or a cure for us. There were also many times when I asked Him to give it to me- whatever was causing Bella these fevers, give it to me, make me suffer.........not her.
Dr. K asked me once how far I was willing to go and when I was going to stop looking for an answer. I told him that my biggest fear was quitting without knowing. I didn't want to have something happen a few years down the road and hear a doctor say "If we would have caught this/found this earlier we could have......" I told him I wanted to go all the way............I want an answer........and I am not going to stop until I get it.

Now I am not saying that I want a doctor to find something terribly wrong with my daughter. That's not it at all. In fact I don't want Bella to have these fevers anymore or to have ever had them in the first place. But there is a terrible fear in the unknown. My pediatrician has been amazing and his wife and staff had told me he is perplexed, and has also spent many nights researching online, contacting colleagues, and been frustrated as he runs out of ideas. I feel that we are almost the same person sometimes, on the same mission, after the same goal.
I have been told numerous times that Bella is a "medical mystery" and that some things in medicine "just don't have answers". That's not good enough for me.

Bella is a healthy, happy, active toddler. She does not get colds, flus, or any other kind of illness. That alone makes me curious. How could a child never get sick with even the most common of illnesses but yet, like clock work, come down with a fever every month with no explanation? A fever that leaves as abruptly and without warning as it came?

Bella has been through so many tests and gone to so many doctor's. Even throughout her blood work she never once cried. She would sit on my lap and hold out her arm for the doctor and say "Here go!" every time she saw the needle. She is probably the bravest person I have ever met. Most children hate going to the pediatrician but Bella loves to go, and she loves her doctor. So when is enough enough? Should I be content that my daughter is a medical mystery and put an end to the testing?
We feel like we have run out of options. We have taken all the roads and gone down the path less traveled and still come to a dead end. We feel that we have done every test and seen every specialist that we possibly could but are still left with the same questions. Why does she have these fevers? Where do they come from? What are we forgetting? What are we overlooking? Will we ever have our answers?
My hope is that someone, somewhere reading this might have gone through the same thing or know someone that has gone through the same thing. Not that I wish this on anyone but I am hoping that there may be some ground we have not covered.
A stone we have not overturned.

Today Bella was happy-go-lucky one minute and giving me hugs and kisses. Ten minutes later she laid on the floor and was sucking her thumb and moaning. When I bent down to kiss her she was burning up. I got the thermometer out and just that quick her temperature was up to 104 degrees. Ten minutes! So not only are the fevers back again at their regular intervals but they are getting higher again. I am desperate for answers. Answers to questions that no one seems to be able to answer for me. Answers that I think- that I KNOW- my daughter deserves.
Now I am not saying that I want a doctor to find something terribly wrong with my daughter. That's not it at all. In fact I don't want Bella to have these fevers anymore or to have ever had them in the first place. But there is a terrible fear in the unknown. My pediatrician has been amazing and his wife and staff had told me he is perplexed, and has also spent many nights researching online, contacting colleagues, and been frustrated as he runs out of ideas. I feel that we are almost the same person sometimes, on the same mission, after the same goal.
Bella is a healthy, happy, active toddler. She does not get colds, flus, or any other kind of illness. That alone makes me curious. How could a child never get sick with even the most common of illnesses but yet, like clock work, come down with a fever every month with no explanation? A fever that leaves as abruptly and without warning as it came?
Bella has been through so many tests and gone to so many doctor's. Even throughout her blood work she never once cried. She would sit on my lap and hold out her arm for the doctor and say "Here go!" every time she saw the needle. She is probably the bravest person I have ever met. Most children hate going to the pediatrician but Bella loves to go, and she loves her doctor. So when is enough enough? Should I be content that my daughter is a medical mystery and put an end to the testing?
Today Bella was happy-go-lucky one minute and giving me hugs and kisses. Ten minutes later she laid on the floor and was sucking her thumb and moaning. When I bent down to kiss her she was burning up. I got the thermometer out and just that quick her temperature was up to 104 degrees. Ten minutes! So not only are the fevers back again at their regular intervals but they are getting higher again. I am desperate for answers. Answers to questions that no one seems to be able to answer for me. Answers that I think- that I KNOW- my daughter deserves.
~Heather :)





16 comments:
Well something is causing it. Right? I mean she is getting the fevers. How frustrated, lost and wanting answers you must feel. Is there a special children's hospital around? Don't give up on finding the answer. Poor sweetie. I will be praying for your little daughter. When my son was 21 days old he was fussy and spiked a fever. My hubby wanted to just give him medicine and watch it. I knew something it was worse then that and insisted taking him to the ER. This is as he is in the middle of writing his sermon hours before church. He canceled service and my Charlie was checked in for 8 days to the NICU. It was rough and his fever would not break. He has never had it happen again and they never knew what caused it but a 'virus' (whatever that means). But if he misses a nap or gets OVERLY tired he is the first to get a fever. He HAS to nap.
By the way..I'm like your hubby, mine won't let me paint because he says I make a mess. That's ok with me. lol.
Wendy
Morning sweetie....there is nothing more heart wrenching than to see our children suffering and not know what to do to 'fix' it..But thru the years I have learned that I didn't have to know...God knew..There are so many times I have seen the hand of God move on my kids and grandkids and I know you have too...I will pray for little Bella...I know that is a terrifying experience..that sweet angel draws her strength from her sweet mama...you take care and thanks so much for coming by and sharing the joy with us about our own little 'Bella'...Have a great week sweetie.
Heather
I will be keeping bella in my prayers:) Please keep us informed and I will certainly ask everyone I know about this I have a friend who is a nicu nurse and I will ask her if she has ever heard anything like this and let you know
Thinking of all of you
julie
This is perplexing. I'm a medical transcriptionist and will keep my eyes open for her kind of symptoms and the diagnoses while I'm typing. I too will keep her in my prayers and that you may be able to find answers that you seek. Cindy
Heather my sister is a medical transcriptionist and I told her bella's story and she wanted to know if they tested her for a tick bite? she said she would ask around and see if she could find out any thing else. Thanks for the great comment on my blog.
julie
Heather I'm so sorry you all are going through this... how worried you must be. I wouldn't stop till you found an answer either.
Nova would get 104 and up when we was teething. We had to take him to the ER a few times and they just sent us home. He's never sick either, only when teething.
But since Bella's are running on a rather "menstral" cycle, I can't help but wonder if something is off with her estrogen, ect. I've heard of babies having cycles that young. You said she just had a fever today, and it's a full moon... which is when most women have their period. Could be something to look into? I certainly have a temperature rise during that time.
Such sweet pics, esp. with Kyle holding her. And good for you for putting that DR in their place, that was rediculous!!!
I've done my share of fever internet searches. I'm sure you've read that you can put them in a bath, but the water must not be any cooler than their current temp. I've done this for Nova a few times and it helped.
I hope you get some answers soon sweetie!
Hugs!
Good Morning, Heather! It is early Wednesday, and I do hope and pray that Bella's fever is gone by this time. (I am so far behind in blogging, ..sorry!) Bless her heart! There is nothing worse than not being able to "fix" our kids problems, and this sounds like a very serious one! I do hope that you and Marc find answers for that precious little girl! But never doubt yourself, if you don't! You have done everything earthly possible! I'm lifting Bella up in prayer, as well as your whole family! Please keep us posted!
I know that the doctors may have already considered what Nikki suggested, but that was my first thought too, when you gave the cycle times and symtoms. Might be something to look into. There is a girl in our community, a couple years younger than Ash, and she has had "strange happenings" throughout her life, starting VERY young and they were related to estrogen. You would never know it looking at the child, but her mom told me about it, several years ago.
Take Care, sweetie! Oh, and the pics were just precious! ~Rhonda :)
Hi Heather... I'm so sorry to hear about everything that Bella and your family have been going through. I can relate, somewhat, as I've had my now 18 year old son in and out of hospitals all of his life. I can feel your pain and frustration.
I am going to give you a URL for a website I believe you should check out. There is a hospital in the state I live in that is awesome. Folks travel from all over the USA and world to bring their children there for help. It is an endowment hospital, meaning there is a huge trust fund set up to assist families with the cost if needed. Also, there is a very nice Ronald McDonald House right across the street from the hospital. I have stayed many nights there. My son has been in that hospital literally more times than I can count. The staff is amazing and relentless with their devotion for treatments for children in need. The name of this terrific hospital is Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children. Around here it is just called A.I. duPont. Please take a moment to look at their website.
http://www.nemours.org/hospital/de/aidhc.html
I will be praying for your daughter, and the rest of your family. I am always searching online for answers to things that affect my son, and I'll now be aware of Bella's symptoms and keep an eye out for anything that may be of some help. Stay strong, and hold tightly to your faith in God. The road is bumpy, I know, but the thing to remember is that you're still ON the road... Never give up! God bless...
~hugs 'n prayers~
Pearl
Oh sweetie... I'm so sorry. You know if you need to, you can call me. I can't do a darn thing except make you laugh. I haven't called you because I'm afraid to wake up the baby, so if you need to, call me tomorrow or whenever... Okay?
Love you,
Barney
Wow, what a horrible burden to have to carry! I hope and pray that you and Bella's doctors can figure this out soon. JK has only ever had one fever, and I was sick with worry the whole time, but I can't even imagine the fear and dread you and your family experience.
Bless your heart. I'm so sorry about Bella. It really does sound like it could be related to hormones. Have they checked those too? xo rachel
That would be so frustrating. I know that this has had to be very frightening also.
My husband and I used to watch a Medical Discovery channel on Satellite and our favorite show was the Medical Mysteries. I always like learning about new things in order to maybe help someone else. I wish I had heard about someone else this has happened too.
I'll pray that you get some answers.
I had a similar situation with doctors after my daughter was electrocuted but that is a long story. Just remember that the doctor is being paid by you. You have purchased their time & attention so never feel guilty for not letting them run over you. My husband was in medical school at time of my daughters problem. I went online to medical websites set up for doctors & spent hours researching to only find 1 paper about her condition stating that there was no research done on how to treat it. My next option was simply a desperate mothers prayer. I prayed that if God was going to take her then to take her now rather than slowly allowing her to be tortured like what was happening at the time otherwise, I need a doctor who can help her." I prayed that one desperate Sunday morning & at church she had problems which resulted in me giving her mouth to mouth. After she was better I was in lobby looking in to church going on silently crying and a man came up to me & said, "I know a dr. who can help you" That was the beginning of hope & healing. Please know I will pray for You & Bella & ask my husband if he has any ideas or knows anyone who might. But see if you can access some of the research medical websites. You can type in symptoms & pull up stuff. I don't know why I am asking this but as I was reading your story I wondered if she had seen a neurologist. Could this be something to do with that part of the body? Blessings to you & yours.
Debbie
I feel your fear! When my babies had fever it was just so scary.
I'm gonna pray for you and for Bella as many times as I can think to. She is precious and brave. God is holding her in the palm of His hand!
We've had our turns with dr. visits with a son who was born with a heart defect. Having to explain to the dr what is wrong with him. And going to a new dr?Oh please! I fill out the forms, they come in with the form in their hands and it is obvious they have not even glanced at it! And to have the nurse 'detect' a heart murmur, not want to say anything about it for fear of "worrying' me...& I am almost in laughter because I know exactly what she is hearing! Humph. That is why it is medical PRACTICE".
But what Nikki says does make sense...cyclical. Is it hormonally related?
I just wanted to let you know I read through the whole story and I hope you find answers someday soon. It's so difficult to watch your child go through things like this, how you do it time after time is just amazing. You must be very strong. Has there been a change since this was posted? It's so strange that the fevers are coming on a cycle like that. Almost like a woman's period but with fever instead. I'm sure they've checked everything, including hormone levels but that was what first came to my mind. I'll send good thoughts your way!
~Michelle
Post a Comment