I remember back in high school our guidance counselor used to come into our home room on occassion to have us fill out questionare forms. The forms would have questions like: What are your plans for after graduation? What college do you plan on attending? What will you major in? What career path will you choose? Where do you see yourself in ten years?
On one particular occassion he started asking random students to answer questions from the form. He asked me where I saw myself in ten years. "Happily married with children." I answered proudly. "Yes, but what will you be doing as a career?" he asked. "I am going to be a stay at home mom, sir." Again, proudly. The guidance counselor started laughing, causing the majority of the students in the room to follow suit. I sat there feeling embarressed. Why is he laughing? What did I say? What is wrong with my dreams?
Once he regained composure he asked (with sarcasm in his voice) "And you think that you are going to make any money or get satisfaction from that?" My embarressment turned to anger from his mocking. "Satisfaction- yes. Sir" Was my blunt and red- faced response. A response that caused him to shake his head while turning his focus to the next student whom he would dote with pride over choosing some type of engineering career.
Unfortunately not a lot has changed since that day in high school. There are some people, who,upon finding out what I do think me being a stay at home mom is very admirable. A "most difficult job with no pay". While others are borderline or just plain rude with responses like "And you enjoy that?" (huh?) or "Oh I bet you can't wait to get back to work." (uh, where did I go?) or- my all time fav- "What do you do all day? Don't you get bored?" It is that question that always awards my response "Oh, it's hard to get bored when you are on call 24/7." (enter fake laugh here) There are times when I walk away from those comments feeling less than an inch tall. Like being a stay at home mom puts up some sort of shield that makes you invisible because once they find out what you do you are no longer good enough to take part in their conversation. And there are times when I feel inferior to these people who work outside the home. They get to dress up in their nice suits and go sit in their own private cubicle and eat fancy salads for lunch. I envy the fact that their well put together outfits are probably not covered in peanut butter or snot everyday by noon. I envy the fact that they get to carry on adult conversations for at least 8 hours a day and jam to their car stereo during rush hour traffic- listening to any radio station they want! What I don't understand is, I never judge women for working outside of the home-in fact I respect the fact that they have made that decision. Most of them work in jobs that others of us depend on. But why should I get judged because I have decided to stay home with my kids? I have people depending on me. But honestly- my personal satisfaction does not have to be justified. All it takes is one look at my children to wash all of my insecurities away. I listen to my son who is singing a new song I just taught him. I watch my daughter finally master that puzzle that she has been struggling with. I look around at my clean house before turning off the lights for the night and feel like I accomplished what I set out to do that day. My days are not filled with soap operas and bon bons. More like Blues Clues and cheerios. But that is ok with me. Because what I get to wake up to every morning, and the things I get to do make it all worth it.
I get to cook and bake. I have the best Chef's assistants.......

I get to help them explore and discover..............
Help feed their imagination and watch the wonder in their eyes..........
Happy Mother's Day!!!!!






1 comment:
Amen sister! I'm standing right there with you ;) Great post!
I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
hugs,
rue
Post a Comment