Monday, May 12, 2008

A Wonderful Mother's Day

I had the most wonderful Mother's Day weekend! Yes- I said weekend. My husband tends to spoil me a bit on holidays so I have "holiweeks". he he Friday night when he came home he had Tony Roma's take-out! My favorite. Saturday he came home from work with these...

Didn't he do good?? Then he gave me the most beautiful card that made me cry. And he and the kids gave me this.....
A gift card to Wal-Mart to buy more flowers for our little balcony garden! So we all got ready and headed to Wally World! The kids were a big help. My son was extremely selective and not wanting to pick any flowers up that had brown, dried up buds on them. My daughter however wasn't quite as picky. Needless to say we went over my "budget" but my husband didn't seem to care. He is such a good man! So we ended up with all of these....................


And my son picked out these cute little flowers because he liked the blue pots!

And I ended up with 5 hanging baskets with purple petunias and yellow pansies. They are all hanging from my balcony overhang as I couldn't wait a minute after walking in the door to hang them up!
My flowers bring me so much joy and I love sitting out on the balcony just staring at all of the beautiful colors.
We end up with pink and purple petunias every year. It's not because they are my first choice but because there is a special meaning behind it. The year my husband and I got married was crazy! All spring and summer we were planning for our late July wedding. A week or so before the wedding I wanted to make our apartment and balcony look nice for all of the out of town family that would be coming in. I needed my flowers! So, exhausted one night, my darling husband-to-be and I drove to Home Depot, Lowe's and Wal-Mart looking for flowers. Everyone was out of everything. Wal-Mart had these sad little pink and purple petunias left over in hanging baskets that had been cracked and potting soil was spilling out. The flowers were definitely over halfway dead. They were on the cart to be thrown away. Needless to say I talked the manager into buying all 5 hanging baskets for $6 and took them home. I think he and my husband both thought I was nuts. I nursed them back to health and by the end of August the flowers were so full and overgrown that they were actually hanging down in front of the balcony below us! So, every year my husband and I make sure we have pink and purple petunias for our garden- no matter what. It was just one of those special memories that you like to keep alive. A new tradition that started because- like some things in life- you are left with no choices. You make lemonade and it turns out to be sweeter than you had planned.
I felt like a queen this weekend. My husband always has a way of making me feel like I am the most wonderful woman in the world and this weekend was no exception. I found myself praising God for all of my blessings- big and small. My husband and my children are among my greatest blessings and it was so nice to feel like they were blessed by me as well.
I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day like I did!














2 comments:

Rue said...

Good morning Heather :)

That was such a cute story! I'm so glad you had a great Mother's Day. You made out like a bandit! :)

hugs,
rue

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Heather, I was going back through my comments from last week's post, looking for the blog link of another...and saw your comment. Last week was a busy whirlwind and somehow I overlooked it! I am SO SORRY, that I did not hop over here sooner to meet you and check your blog out! But, I'm glad that I finally did! Your blog is beautiful and I have enjoyed reading your posts! You have a gift of writing! :) And your children are just precious!!! Love your banner! Hydrangea are one of my favorites!

Looks like you had a wonderful Mother's Day holiweek...LOL! Your husband sounds like a "keeper!" "smiles" I love the story about your petunias and the tradition of pink and purple ones!

Come back to visit me soon! I'll be back over! And again, please accept my apologies for not coming over sooner! :o) ~Rhonda