Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to 1875

Marc and I like to stalk the MLS. Some houses are in our price range while others are just a dream. When we see some we like we take a drive and explore until we find them. A couple of weeks back we saw this old gal and we drove to see her. All the years that I have lived in this area I never even knew this street existed. The street itself was hidden, nestled among lots of old trees, almost in the center of town. From the main road- this street appears to be a driveway for another house, when indeed there are several houses on the street- all from the same era.

We pulled in the driveway and she sat there on a wooded lot, looking like a sweet little dollhouse. Built in 1875, this home must have so many stories to tell.


I love the facade and the cute little stone path leading to the front door.


And the front door really does look as though it belongs on a dollhouse.

On the left side of the house there is a side entrance that takes you into the kitchen. The kitchen has white cabinets, steel counter tops and a stove that looks like it has been there since the kitchen was added. A row of windows above the kitchen sink would actually make doing dishes enjoyable- to me anyway!
But if you look closer you will see this is more than a cute house......

It is a large bank account ready to be emptied. This old gal has fallen into a condition that breaks my heart. With chipped and peeling paint, loose shutters, cracked windows, rotted wood siding, and a saggy roof. I can only imagine what repairs the inside requires. Although from peeking in the windows I saw amazing paneled walls, multiple fireplaces, and wide planked floors. Ahhh

On the right side of the house there sits a cute little stone patio. I could imagine sitting out there eating dinner, drinking a glass of wine and watching over the garden. So many possibilities for decorating. Oh my!


The garden and landscaping is so overgrown it was hard to tell what shape the foundation was in.


Marc and I were tickled with the little angled windows upstairs. Funny.


We were in awe of the whole house.........and the lot. Staring at the house envisioning what it could, someday, look like. Trying to calculate in our heads how much money it would take to get it to that perfect little vision we had in our minds. We would say things like "The roof would need to be replaced", "Wonder how many gallons of paint it would take for the outside", "How many hours of scraping do you think we would have", etc etc etc. Then after awhile of silence Marc and I both looked at each other with disappointed faces and both shook our heads no. We were in agreement. But we weren't happy about it.

All I wanted to do was wrap my arms around her and tell her everything was going to be fine and that I would take good care of her. But my bank account will not allow me to make that promise.
Someone used to love this house. Someone used to work hard tending to her every need. Lovingly planting and weeding the gardens, freshening her paint, washing her windows.


But that must have been awhile ago. Now there are trees growing out of the air conditioning unit...


And from the roof on the garage.


And, seriously- how cute is that garage, anyway? Even if the roof is covered with moss and baby maple trees.
The back yard was fantastic. Unfortunately I didn't get many photos of it.

Because we were distracted by these little cuties....


Who didn't seem to be bothered by us, at all.


They just kept doing what they were doing- under mamma's watchful eye.


Even though we were just feet from them- they acted as though they weren't afraid of us at all.

Until they heard my kids. LOL!!
Oh to take the house back to 1875...... when she was fresh and new and looking beautiful. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
Have a great day everybody!
Blessings,
Heather:)

5 comments:

onlymehere said...

She sure was a beauty and one time, I can just feel it. My bank account wouldn't let me fix her up either but you can see with all the extra details that she was built with love in her earlier years. Thanks for sharing this home with us today. I love her. I hope someone who can take care of her finds her and loves her soon!

Nancy Hood said...

I am a follower of yours and today's post brings such delight to my soul! loved it :)

KKJD1 said...

Oh what a cute old house, I see house like that run down and wonder what the poor person who had the home built or built it themselves would think of it in the state they are in, it hurts my heart that people let things go that are such treasures to us all. Thanks for a great post and the extra wildlife too! Blessings,Karen

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Oh Heather, why must you tug at my heartstrings so?! What a darling place. As you said, even the gargage.. it's adorable!
What a shame....
Sniff.

Jo said...

Aw, what an adorable house! It's so sad to see old houses in that condition...or worse: turned into apartments! I hope this one finds someone to love it.
~Jo