Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dinner Anyone??

Today I thought I would share a recipe with you that I made for dinner last night. I am always finding recipes and trying them and then I play and tweak until I think it is better. he he he This used to drive my husband crazy- but lucky for me he eats everything I put in front of him and rarely complains!! When we first started dating and I played around with recipes or created my own I would have some that turned out okay when others were so awful we would end up calling for take out. Over the years I have learned a lot, now know what spices pair well with others, how to prepare things and therefore lately have a much higher success rate!!

Okay, here are the ingredients you will need...........


EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) Seasoned bread crumbs, spinach, smoked Gouda cheese, gala apples, ground nutmeg, lemon juice, Dijon Mustard and skinless, boneless chicken breast.
Now I rarely measure anything- I just throw stuff in. I will try and be as exact as possible!

I use 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts (because that is how much feeds my family) so if you need to prepare more, then just adjust the recipe accordingly.

3 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of all fat
4 ounces of smoked Gouda cheese- grated
3 handfuls of spinach- finely chopped (I usually use fresh but only could find the bagged last time)
1 Gala apple- peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
1/4 teaspoon of ground Nutmeg

Prepare all ingredients. Be sure and grate the outside of the cheese too for the best smoked flavor!!

Mix cheese, spinach, apple, lemon juice, Dijon and nutmeg together in a bowl -by hand.


Next, using a sharp knife, cut a "pocket" into the chicken breast from front to back side to side as big as you can without slicing through the outside edges. I am sure there has to be a fancy culinary term for this but "pocket" works for me!!


Now take your mixture and stuff each breast as full as you can. Coat each breast with the EVOO on all sides and then coat with the seasoned bread crumbs. Coat the bottom of the baking dish with a combination of water and EVOO just until the bottom is coated- not too much- don't wanna drown your bird!! Place chicken in the baking dish and then sprinkle the top of each breast lightly with more ground nutmeg.


Bake- uncovered- at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour. I bake them for one hour and get perfect results but every oven varies so use your own judgement.
And Voila!! A delicious stuffed chicken! This meal has been one I have made for family dinners and when we have entertained and it gets rave reviews every time! It is so good!! It has somewhat of a rich flavor to it with the Gouda but the spinach and apple helps balance it nicely.




I really need to learn how to take better pictures of food! Trust me- it is much prettier in person!
I haven't named the recipe so I guess we will just call it Heather's Stuffed Chicken. LOL!!!
Enjoy!!
~Heather :)

2 comments:

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

This looks awesome. I can't remember if I like gouda or not tho. There's a lot of cheeses I don't like, such as blue cheese, ect.
I'll try it with fresh parm and go from there!
Nikki

Rue said...

This looks great! I love cheese, so you can give me all of Nikki's ;)

I posted 2 hours before your comment, so okay missy, what are you doing up at 3am?? Somethin' wrong??

Annie wasn't going to go to the emergency until she started crying and Rich freaked out LOL It was just a little puncture, but I asked the dr. if we needed to amputate and she said no LOL

I'm on pins and needles...
hugs,
rue